Pages

Saturday 29 February 2020

Kookaburra: Friend or foe?




So much has happened since I had the idea for my wall hanging that I was feeling a little removed from its initial inspiration. That was, until doing a wildlife rescue and recovery course last Sunday. We focused a lot on birds as they make up by far the largest percentage of calls for help. As I handled birds with broken necks, saw photos of broken beaks and heard of concussed birds some with broken ‘shoulders’, the motivation behind my piece was brought into clear focus – the problem that windows represent for birds.


Windows have romantic notions attached to them in our culture and in a practical sense, are generally seen positively letting in warming sunshine on a cold day and cooling breezes in the summer. However, for birds, they can be quite sinister particularly when they reflect the sky and trees which tricks birds to fly into them. And, also they reflect the birds themselves which they often mistake for an intruder in their territory which needs to be seen off. According to an article in the Washington Post online 3 February 2014, it is estimated that a staggering 365 – 988 million birds die from colliding with windows in the USA annually.
I wasn’t sure if I should make this the subject of my window piece but I was out pondering the possibility when, right before my eyes, on the tail end of a spectacular storm, I watched in disbelief as what I think was a heron, flew directly into the large window of the indoor market I had just visited. My friend and I looked for the bird in the bushes where it had fallen but we couldn’t find it. All that remained was a ghostly impression of its body and wings on the window.


You’ll be relieved to know that I rejected the initial idea to depict a dead bird in front of a window and opted instead for this live Kookaburra sitting on my neighbour’s windowsill tapping persistently at his own image, thankfully not flying at it! Working on this project has resulted in some positives. I learnt there are ways of bird proofing windows which I will be able to tell friends and family about and also put into effect myself as I am about to move into a new house. In addition, I was able to try out fabric paints and an iron-off marking pen I had ordered from Helen Godden and, also, to give free motion quilting a go. My FMQ technique has a long way to go but it was a satisfying start. 

Here are photos of some of the stages.


Thank you again for welcoming me to the group. I would never have created ‘Kookaburra: Friend or foe?’ without the membership to motivate me.



10 comments:

  1. We have similar problems with birds here in the UK, though I don't believe as bad as you have. Our windows get hit by pigeons on a fairly regular basis, though it's very rare that any get badly hurt. I very much enjoy your kookaburra and the technique you've used to create a mosaic type piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linda - I too understand the problems windows have for birds. We have a huge conservatory and several birds have tried to fly 'through' and met their peril. It is always so sad.
    I like your quilt and the story that goes along with it. Personally I think your idea of a dead bird before a window would also have been excellent - not to everyone's taste I agree, but sometimes that isn't the point.
    Thanks for sharing the photos of you at work too. It is always nice to have a glimpse of someone else at work! Best wishes Claire

    ReplyDelete
  3. A really lovely piece of work and every aspect of it is beautiful. I love the colours you have used and it was so good to see your construction journey. Welcome to our group with this delighful first piece of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a debut piece, Amanda! Thank you for talking us through the process and showing us the various steps - I love getting the background story. It's a beautiful piece which is a salutatory lesson. We have messed with the habitats of so many animals. Light pollution is another harming factor. You glad you joined us. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. A world wide problem and as bird lovers we are horrified each time we hear a thump on our windows. Thank you so much for taking us thru your steps. Love your piece. The style and techniques have worked perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your kookaburra and the way in which you have created your quilt using the black background: it makes the image really stand out. I spend a lot of time watching the birds in our garden: we have a tremendous variety, and it's the best garden I have ever had for birds. If we move, I am taking the garden with me! However we are lucky that, despite having french windows, we haven't had any birds banging into them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome to the group Amanda.
    I didn’t know that what we see as an unusual event here in the UK had such devastating effects elsewhere. Your piece acts as a reminder to be more mindful of our environment.
    I love that you have taken Helen Godden's technique and made it your own. She is an enabling teacher but so often you see her students re-creating her style as well as using the skills she teaches. Thank you for the process photos, I think we all enjoy seeing how others work, it’s something I’ll try to remember in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Amanda for sharing your thought processes and your preliminary drawings with us . One of Sophie Standings thread painted works is of a Kookaburra and so beautifully created . (you should find it online) . I had an experience with one ages ago when we were tramping in a wooded area and having lunch with our sons family north of Brisbane . Suddenly a Kookaburra swooped down and grabbed the sandwich from my hand and had the audacity to munch on it while sitting on a branch not far from us !!.
    You must be pleased with the result of your piece . I really love it .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome Amanda, and with such an interesting story and piece! We once had a Heron flying into the rigging of our yacht and it was killed instantly - so sad to see. There are Vervet monkeys coming through the the gardens of the complex we now live in and they too, will grab the food out of your hands!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It suddenly occurred to me that I haven't finished commenting. Sorry for the delay. I love your kookaburra. After singing about them for years in Brownie and Guides in Canada it was great to finally see them in real life when we moved to Sydney. And I liked seeing how you assembled it.

    ReplyDelete