Pages

Saturday 29 February 2020

Quilt 1: Window

I made a small textile piece a few months ago in response to a photograph of the huge window structures at Dubai airport. I enjoyed making it and thought it would be an easy job to create a new quilt using  windows as a starting point.  I kept thinking that an idea would emerge, but with 2 days to go still nothing new came to mind. Time had run out, so it was important to do something. As a result the quilt I have made is pretty enough, but not very satisfying. I guess it is good to acknowledge that not every piece turns out well.

This is my interpretation of one of the windows at Sheikh Zayed Mosque in Abu Dhabi. If you have seen or visited this mosque you will know how incredibly beautiful it is. Despite visiting, I don't have any photos of my own of this mosque, but if you do a Google search you will find lots - and I am sure you will be amazed.



And this is the quilt. It doesn't have a black border,  that is just the background cloth I put it on for the photo. The window shape has been cut out and the carved wooden pattern has been made using 2 layers of heavy weight interfacing with organza sandwiched in between. I have taken the photo with a light box behind so as to illuminate the window void.
The floral decoration is free motion embroidery / quilting which has been coloured using Derwent Inktense pencils and fabric medium. In the mosque this decoration is created in the most incredible relief using marble and other semi prescious stones and on such a sale that it takes your breath away.




In hindsight I think the composition would have been stronger if I had made the window very much smaller, but as the theme was 'window' I got sidetracked by that.

This is also the first time I have made a 16 x 20 inch quilt. I am not used to this format. My first reaction is that I am not very keen on it, and I think I need to try again for the next piece to see if I can manage the size better.

Thanks Jinnie for starting us off. I am looking forward to seeing all the other great pieces - and to the next challlenge.

11 comments:

  1. I have visited that mosque and, yes, it is exquisitely beautiful. I love your interpretation - having the see through aspect of the window and the delicate floral embroidery. Beautiful! It is inspiring me to work on my FMQ and to get some Inktense pencils.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. I've visited the Taj Mahal which has the same incredible decoration and this gives a perfect feel for the colours and delicacy of the stone. Great idea to use a cut-out too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda - funnily enough I was at the Taj Mahal two weeks ago - perhaps that was also in the back of my mind as I scrambled to make something!

      Delete
  3. Your piece is absolutely beautiful! I love the window and how you created the design. Your quilting is so delicate and the colours you have used for the flowers are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully executed. Love what you have done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those delicate flowers and the idea of the see-through window.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can’t believe you put this together in two days! The floral decoration is really delicate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Claire, hat's off for pulling this off in such a short time. A lovely idea making the window transparent. The fine tracery of flowers is just like the Taj Mahal. If I ever get to Abu Dhabi I will make a point of visiting the mosque. I think you had fun sketching/stitching the floral pattern and then colouring it in. Magic. Please don't beat yourself up because you are not totally happy with it - we don't see it that way. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Islamic designs can be inspirational and this goes for the delicate design in this mosque window . But I really loved the delicate flowers around the window . I LOVE working with Inktense pencils and blocks after going to a workshop sometime ago given by Bethanne Nemesh . Magical to watch light colour turn to vivid tones by moisture ,either textile medium/water combination or aloe vera gel .

    ReplyDelete
  9. So beautiful Claire! Amazing that you created it in just 2 days! I will definitely have to try out those Intense pencils - if I can find them here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry for the delay in commenting Claire. This is quite exquisite. I haven't seen the mosque but I have seen the Taj Mahal and it is reminiscent of the lovely inlay there.

    ReplyDelete