Tuesday, 24 November 2015


These are the completed Buzz Art Blocks. No fabric. Just paint/ mouldingpaste & lutradur. I repainted each block its main colour and then sprayed thru lace curtaining.  I used bird templates made from 4 layers of freezer paper ironed together and filled with moulding paste.  The flowers are painted lutradur and are nailed on. Behind the flowers I did fray out some string to give a vine effect and the nails in the flowers are covered with painted felt 'pebbles'.  Not very original but thought I would stick with what I new for my first attempt and am fairly happy.  As you go along you work out what you should or could have done different .... but that is part of the learning curve.

p.s. my challenge is finished as well!

Thursday, 19 November 2015

Shock and amazement...

... I'm finished and it's days away from the deadline. When Heather posted her challenge colour my immediate response was 'I don't do green!' but looking back on my pieces for
12 By the Dozen it seems that I do, in small quantities:


Tuesday, 20 October 2015

Buzz Art Blocks

The blocks are 12 inch square and made of strips of plywood glued together, approx half inch in thickness. Very solid and quite weighty. This is because some may use mosaics or similar mediums.  This means that I will probably work on fabric and stretch it across like an artists canvas.  Still umming and aahing!!  

Wednesday, 14 October 2015


During our National Quilt Festival which was held in July this year we had an incident and one of the husbands of one of our quilters went beyond the call of duty to assist. With this in mind the committee wanted to recognise and show appreciation for this act and asked that I make a 'Quilters Star' award.  I was asked to use a 4" square artists canvas and I had carte blanche!  Being caught in the moment I said yes!   

After much mulling around and going no where, I decided to work on two and they could take it from there.  They also were under no obligation to accept either.

These are the results.....

Ultimately I had great fun and have been inspired to do a small series (different theme) working on a slightly larger artists canvas. 4" is really very small but quirky.

Needless to say I have not started, however, I have just received an open request from one of our local galleries calling for 'local artists' to take part in their annual 'Buzz Art' exhibition.  You buy a canvas (or 2 or more) from them for a nominal fee, use any medium to create your piece of art and it goes on show and you may put it up for purchase if interested.

Closing date 17th November ...... so watch this space!

Saturday, 10 October 2015

Renovated Marsala piece!

I have finally got round to adding more leaves to flow across the binding so it looks more natural.  I see I have left some marking lines on a couple of leaves which I will remove. Much happier now!

Saturday, 26 September 2015

Happy Day

I am pleased to have sold this needle felted silkwork from the series seen below to one of my gardening clients, who is a retired prof from the art department of Concordia University in Montreal. It was very rewarding for me to see it hanging in her front hallway where she said that its placement was to compliment the colours of the Jack Bush on her landing (a print) and a small  Edouard Munch on the opposite wall. I was very tickled that she was so happy with her purchase and that she was so generous in her encouragement. Big smile all day!
Thanks also to Heather for taking this photo and for the offer to hang the series this summer at our local medical center where she curates a gallery for the pleasure of patients in the waiting room. It encouraged me to get them into some simple gold frames and to think in terms of a series.

Friday, 25 September 2015

New improved marsala

   I have added copper markal paintstik between the quilted lines on the black and I think it looks much better and far more cohesive, though there is still too much black. When I first made it, I tried to get around the problem of the piece of printed fabric being to small by photocopying it, cutting the copies in various ways and placing it on black paper to see what it would look like, but I could not find a way to do it without the quilt being smaller than it had to be. However it was a first try with my stencil and I am not  intending to leave it there and will definitely play around with it more. Up to now I have a small stash of fabrics that I have printed, plus some samples and several small pieces like this, but I think I need to start working on a larger scale to be able to make anything of it. In case you have not seen it the site http://www.culture.gouv.fr/fr/arcnat/megalithes/index.html gives a good brief introduction and has some lovely photos. I tried to give the link to the English page on Gavrinis, but it would not let me, so just change the language to English at the bottom of the page, and look at the page 'Megalisme in Morbihan' to find the information about Gavrinis. The other sites are fascinating too. I first became interested in the carvings twenty years ago when we were on holiday in the area, having seen photos of them. However I didn't get to see the real thing until three years ago, when we went on a trip to the island. The carvings were fantastic, but I was a little disappointed as we only got see them by the light of a single torch, so they weren't quite as amazing as they appear in the photos when they are so well lit!