Pages

Saturday 13 January 2024

CURRENT DESPAIR

Sorry, this is so late.  I stupidly didn't think it through and was forced to start again but this did give me time to think and trial ideas.  Some things were a blessing in disguise - like 'wasting' all my fabric printing sheets.  This meant I had to print on card - which meant I could 'tear' them which is more effective.

This is a two-sided piece.  The front shows the incredible destruction of homes and the tearing apart of families.  The innocents.  The deaths and the upheavals.  I am disappointed in that the quilting I did to express bombs exploding on the top photos doesn't show up.  Another time I might consider stamping paint.  There are sniper bullets across the piece. 


The back has splatters of 'blood' left in the sand (actual sand glued to fabric and difficult to see).


I would like to say that I do not condone the events of Oct 7th but I am left with a sense of despair in that the mass killing of innocent civilians is not the answer.

The piece measures 20" x 22".  It is machine quilted.  Commercial fabrics.  Satin-stitch covered edges.

On the whole I am pleased with the result and thank you for your patience waiting for me.

Hilary 

5 comments:

  1. My sentiments also. All your hiccups aside worth the wait. Being 2-sided makes it more interesting. Clever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No idea why my comment above came up anonymous?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have succeeded in making a thought provoking quilt with what is a difficult subject. An original approach to the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Min has come up anonymous too: they seem to have changed something when you click on Google account. Jinnie

      Delete
  4. I have managed to post as me via Google by filling in 2 forms it brought up when I clicked on comment as Google account. Three steps instead of the previous one: the wonders of technology!

    ReplyDelete