Saturday, 28 February 2015
Having just finished reading a book on stitch by Helen Parrott it seemed logical to attempt sand ripples for this piece. The first lesson learned was about scale - too many ripples resulted in a near ric-rac effect!
I layered up a piece of lightly rust dyed fabric made during a recent workshop with Alice Fox and used the rust marks to guide my lines of hand stitch. Once the stitching was complete I rollered the surface with acrylic paint in an attempt to achieve more depth.
I'm looking forward to seenow others have interpreted this challenge as I failed miserably to come up with an original response!
Inspired by the colours in the photo plus sea, sky, objects found and lost and, as suggested by a friend, a sail (though I think from the angle the boat is about to capsize!).
The organza is rust and tea dyed. The striped fabric was in a pack of small pieces of a lovely variety of coarsely woven fabrics - years old. The slashes are cut from three layers of fabric which have been bonded together using Heat 'n Bond Ultra which gave me a lovely stiff piece to work with. Background is silk. Ribbon and buttons from stash.
|Prague: Little Quarter|
At first my heart sank when the colour was unveiled .... I very seldom work in these colours. A walk around a dam while on holiday in the Drakensberg in November gave me my inspiration - little mushrooms growing out of the bark of a very damp and dark tree. They are not as sandy coloured as they should be in the photograph but you can see a smidgen. I had great fun in the end and do love it.
I used Lutradur 'Crush' which I bought at FOQ's last year .....
The green embroidery was added at this stage.
I then drew the mushrooms onto white cloth and free motion embroidered them ....cut them out and stitched onto background cloth of fabric and crush. Paint sticks were also used.
And at this time of year with our unseasonably cold weather the idea of sand and sun is most appealing, but this is more the way it is here!
This is my first attempt, using leaves sewn with a sandy coloured thread, mounted on a quilted sandwich. In the detailed photograph I hope you can see how I have tried to achieve the effect.