Pages

Sunday 31 May 2020

The Madison-Belmont Building Entrance



   My original source of inspiration was the iron and bronze framework to the entrance to the Madison-Belmont building.




   I isolated one of the motifs and made a lino block , which when put together would make a circular design, originally intending to use a big  and a small motif in a square design. However, I changed my mind and tried various other options, none of which fitted in either the square or rectangular formats.



   I printed the small motif on white fabric and quilted it, liking the effect. I also tried quilting it, so that  the lino print is on the back and you just see the quilting on three layers of a  shiny orangey organza, that is a similar colour to the copper paintstik. I also  tried it on a piece of silk, which I preferred. I thought that maybe I could use one of these on a background. I had hoped to use satin stitch to cover the edges, but not ever having done much satin stitch before, I tested it out on some scraps, but it was a disaster, so I abandoned that. I just stitched round the outer edge in a straight stitch, and I might hand stitch the silk one as it risks unravelling on the edge when I cut it.





    Finally I tried doing rubbings from the big lino block  using iridescent Paintstiks on black fabric, which I liked a lot, and decided to use as the background for a small quilted motif.



   My idea had been to place the motif on top of the background, but quite frankly it really does not work, though I like the two pieces separately. I'm not sure what on earth to do with it, though I think the small quilted motifs would make nice Christmas decorations!



 

12 comments:

  1. I love following your thought processes as you explored different techniques. The wrought iron work is stunning - those fountains are crying out to be used. I like how you have extracted, mixed and matched, created circular designs and then the markal rubbings. Each step has resulted in a distinct possibility which you can take further. I agree the copper 'Christmas decoration' and the rubbing don't sit well together. Would it make a nice cushion? It deserves to be used. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was amused by your cushion suggestion. Whenever a friend of mine, who is not a quilter, sees one of my quilts for the group, she says "It would make a nice cushion."!

      Delete
  2. You have captured this design beautifully Jinnie. I loved the look when I saw it but had no idea how to work with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The rubbings have worked perfectly. I agree that the mustard motif does not sit well. Maybe colour and size could be played around with. The lino cut block definitely lends itself to some more possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The colour of the motif does look worse in the photo then in reality: it's more of an orange, which on both the organza and the silk has a lovely sheen that looks a bit like the copper Paintstik. I think it looks dreadful though when it's put on the background unfortunately.

      Delete
  4. I too played around with elements of this image - but couldn't reach a solution that I was comfortable with. Your block worked in a way that none of my explorations did.
    I've really enjoyed reading about your thought processes and experiments, thank you for sharing them with us.


    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your design using the paint sticks and of them all I like that one the best. You could have left it just as it was and it really is a different take on the subject. Thank you too for sharing your thought processes which we all tend to do before tackling our ultimate design.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your choice of source material Jinnie and all the various ways you manipulated the elements in your designs. Like you I can't resist a bit of lino print! I also have enjoyed reading your processes and thoughts - thanks for sharing those.
    I really like the way you rotated the simple shape to create the snowflake type shape - I can imaging that multiplied would look stunning - a bit like the original ironwork.
    I also like the rubbing plate technique with the random use of the element - that too looks wonderful. You could create your own line of metreage!
    I agree the single snowflake does a little lonely, but if you still have enthusiasm for the project I think there are loads of ways you could take this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmmm I am learning that it is good to get in quick with the comments. Being one of the last makes it difficult to say something that hasn't already been said! Ditto to all the above. I keep seeing a bit of Maori design in the background. I also really liked following your process. I feel inspired to try a lino cut and then paint sticks. I haven't used paint sticks before. Do you have any recommendation on what brand to buy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only ever used Markal, so i don't know about any others.

      Delete
  8. I like the two separate images, but combined they just do not work as you say. I think it's the combination of the very different colours, and the different symmetry/randomness of the two designs - it makes them fight one another. I'd love to see the 'snowflake' surrounded by lots of quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing to see what you have done with a simple design - beautiful! I haven't done any lino work in ages - actually since I was at Art School. I like the orange one but the others are interesting too.

    ReplyDelete