Pages

Sunday 31 May 2020



ART DECO BUILDINGS NY CITY


To say first off that I really, really love Art Deco but on going over all that New York Art Deco buildings have to offer I became a bit overwhelmed by everything out there, so I took a while to work out how I really wanted to interpret/be inspired by this subject.  In the end I found two buildings, or parts thereof and wanted to combine them to form my final design.  The first one is the Channin Building in New York which has a frieze of Art Deco designs around the upper part of the building and the second one is a mural outside the Rockefeller Centre as below.





I wanted to use a grey background but unfortunately I had used most of what I had on another unrelated project so found a patterned fabric I must have had in my stash for at least 15 years  and used the back of that and bound it with the front of the fabric.  My piece is appliqued and the eagle is quilted in quite a lot of gold metallic thread but unfortunately can't be seen very well in the picture.  The block quilting behind the central design represents the tiles in the background of the mural.
PATRICIA


9 comments:

  1. Hi Patricia
    Thanks for helping me out with Rosemary's quilts. I could see her name at the bottom but also yours.
    II share your feelings of being overwhelmed at the start - there was so much incredible stimulus to choose from I also loved freizen with all its intertwining vegetation and was sorely tempted to use it for a lino block - but eventually went for the Chrysler option instead. I did not come across the mural - it is pretty spectacular isn't it!
    I like the way you have combined components of both in your design and then used features of the wall for the quilting. And bravo for using stash!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed this mural, which might not be a bad thing as I'd definitely have been tempted to work from it - wholecloth again?

    I like the way you've selected motif's to work with the eagle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great mix of the 2. Love your eagle and your new go to colours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both the frieze and the mural are iconic Art Deco examples. I can see why you were attracted to them and clever you for combining them and making the eagle your own. I absolutely LOVE that mural. It is that almost brutish style that was so favoured up to the 2nd WW, and is in complete contrast to the gentle, subtle motifs in the frieze. Well done. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with everyone else; good mix of two sources of inspiration. Like Linda B I would have been very tempted to use that frieze if I had found it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the way you have merged designs from the two sources. And the colours.the two sources

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's beautifully done Patricia. I hadn't seen the Chanin freize and it's quite lovely - nicely incorporated into your design. Lovely quilting too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am really interested in your choice of colour and selection of the eagle. Any story there? I love the frieze and I think you have represented it really well. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with everyone else; good mix of two sources of inspiration. Like Linda B I would have been very tempted to use that frieze if I had found it.

    ReplyDelete