Pages

Sunday 31 May 2020

Elevator door

I originally decide to look into my old photos of a picture from the Empire State building taken when we lived in New York back in 1983, but couldn't find anything worthwhile.  Next step was the internet and I found a picture of an elevator door which intrigued me.


I used photoshop to get the main outlines, and was initially disappointed that the process of converting a .jpg file to a vector file resulted in lots of rounded shapes rather than the straight lines I had envisioned.  On closer inspection I decided I liked this slight distortion of the image as I had set myself the challenge of not being overally exact in my interpretation this time (I have a tendency to be almost OCD when looking at images).

As we were in lockdown I felt as if I had lots of time to work on the image, and thought it would be nice to use a hand technique aka Dilys Fronk and her gates.  As it was the early stages of lockdown there was a preponderance of rainbow images everywhere (a tribute to the NHS) and I thought it would be nice to incorporate this to remember the time in which the work was made.  A quick hunt through my stash resulted in a piece of hand dyed silk velvet onto which I would hand appliqué the main design.  This lasted for less than a half inch of sewing before I decided to use Steam a Seam bonding for the appliqué!! (Frayed edges were everywhere.)

Here's the result!


The quilting is minimalist, just along the edges of the black shapes to hold them in place.

I am pleased with this piece, but I am also aware that it is in some ways a visual cliche.  However, as building work is still proceeding on our house (the reason I took a sabbatical) and time is at a premium as I am also working hard on the garden and doing all the internal decorating on the new extension, I decided not to try and revise the design.  I am still  undecided about whether or not to add extra quilting within the velvet areas, but at the moment it will remain as it is.

9 comments:

  1. Perfect. I love all the nuances and references to lockdown (gates) and rainbows (could be a colourful garden beyond the gate). Personally I wouldn't quilt the velvet areas. I think you have done the elevator great justice. Hilry

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks lovely Linda. I don't think it needs further quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with no more quilting. Love what you have done. i know why you switched to fused applique. I use this technique all the time as I have done on my peacock.

    ReplyDelete
  4. NY Art Deco with references to our present predicament, what could be more fitting?
    Although we have more time to be creative I find I'm drawn to what I know and love (The need for some constancy in my life?) rather than trying anything new.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the colours of the silk velvet. Definitely no more quilting

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda your piece is beautiful and I love the colours in your background. You have created a lovely piece of work which follows the theme as well as the rainbows acknowledging the NHS and the work they are doing. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great combination of lots of messages, emotions and design elements have made a lovely piece Linda. I don't blame you for abandoning the hand stitching - I tried it once........never again; too many miles of hand stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ditto to all of the above comments. Love the finished piece, love the section of the gate design you chose to highlight and love the reference to the NHS and current situation through your choice of fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really enjoy your piece Linda and as all say, a bright rainbow future to us after this shutdown is over. Well done!

    ReplyDelete