Pages

Sunday 31 May 2020



CHRYSLER BUILDING

In this piece, based on the Chrysler Building, I depicted the arched windows of the upper stories with a triangular pattern in them.  Lower down the building are the ordinary windows which are the green squares.  I also wanted to incorporate some typical Art Deco period designs such as the scrolls and simple leaf patterns.  The scrolls I divided up and used different fabrics with which to fill the shapes.  The central thin triangle represents the sky scrapers of NY city.


THE GE BUILDING


The lower picture shows my design based on the GE Building.  Typical Art Deco scrolls are at both sides.  The central area resembles the patterning on the roof area of the building.  Many NY Art Deco buildings had relief sculpturing on them and the GE building was no exception.  Stylised human figures and flowers and leaves shown in the relief sculptures, enabled me to use these in this piece.  The pink and green U shapes are found around the neck area on the human sculptures.



Having seen many of these buildings when I visited NY last year I thought I would find this topic easy to do.  Instead I found the making of these designs really difficult and less enjoyable than I had imagined.  ROSEMARY.

11 comments:

  1. Hi - I'm not sure if these beautiful quilts are Patricia's or Rosemary's, but either way they are a fabulous interpretation of the subject. I love the way you have combined so many of the decorative elements of the Deco buildings into your pieces - you have been very successful. I do agree that it wasn't as easy as I had expected either - just goes to show how difficult good design is, even with such strong graphics to work with.
    I also enjoy the vibrant colours you have used - they really emphasize each of the features you have used.
    Claire
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claire. This is Rosemary's pieces. She asked me to put them up on her behalf.

      Delete
  2. Clever use of the inspiration that the Chrysler building provides. It's good to see the different elements in one cohesive design.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All brought together beautifully. Lovely colourful, clean lines. The top one talks to me most.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done on making two pieces on this subject. I really like the way you have depicted the Chrysler Building and the use of the colours. The GE Building is a really interesting and complex building but you have really created an interesting design out of some of the elements of the. The colours once again zing in this piece. I like them both but think I prefer the second one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rosemary, I am relieved to hear that even you found it difficult. Though looking at your TWO pieces it's difficult to see what you found difficult. Masterful offerings fully portraying the best of Art Deco buildings. I love the small details you picked out to use. Very successful. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the fact you used so many New York features in these pieces, not just restricting your design to one building. The top one wins it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have been busy makintwo: I had trouble coming up with one! I can't make up my mind which I like best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Rosemary. I love them both. I like how you have used colour which emphasizes the design and how you have incorporated several designs but kept the Art Deco theme. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely and colourful! I don't know what was in my glass of wine, but I keep seeing different things in a lot of the pieces. When I look at your first one, I can't not see a person! Big red eyes, green eyebrows, cheeks and chin, wonderful earrings, a very special had and a round body! Love the details especially in the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the fact you used so many New York features in these pieces, not just restricting your design to one building. The top one wins it for me.

    ReplyDelete