Pages

Sunday 31 May 2020

New York

I was quite daunted when I started to look at the massive buildings built in the art deco style.  They looked so severe.  And as much as I loved the intricacy and beauty of the ornamentation I wasn't sure how I was going to make a piece that was "mine". 

I liked the moodiness of the entrance of the Chrysler building - as seen from inside.  And I did like many of the ornate grill works on doors of other buildings.  So the 2 pictures below are of the Chrysler building and the Downtown Athletic Club. 



 I'm not sure if you can see the detail of the quilting in this first photo so I've put in a bit more of a close up in the second.





9 comments:

  1. A good marriage. Simple and effective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way you have taken an element from the one building and given it the treatment (moodiness) of the other. I see the outline of the Chrysler Building in the background quilting. Black or white quilts are notoriously difficult to photograph. Thanks for the detail. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clicking on your first image produced a series of thumbnails of all your images and they told the story of your quilt, from over the the top to distilled essence of NY ARt Deco!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that the images of the buildings were quite daunting. I like the abstacted simplicity of the quilt and the way you have combined the two sources

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see the columns of light that your quilt references and the New York Beauty design in your quilting - you have successfully distilled the real essence of 2 strong Deco features. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As others have commented, I really like the way you combined two images. I like the simplicity, warmth and strength of your piece.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm finding it very interesting how very different all our interpretations are. This is a lovely piece, taking the very basics of the design into a modern setting. Glad you put the close-up in as I missed seeing the background quilting in the first picture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with all the comments. You taking the image and simplyfying it was very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh Dianne, how you have simplified an element of the building and modernized it. As Linda says its amazing how different each one of us has seen Art Deco and interpreted it on fabric.

    ReplyDelete