Pages

Monday 1 June 2020

Sorry for being a bit late. I thought I could be cheeky and claim it is still 31 May in some parts of the world though, of course, not where I live. I really thought I wasn't going to be able to submit a piece this time round but about 3 weeks ago, I realised I would be able to. That was about the time that I heard termites in my sewing room so that meant everything I had just unpacked into it, had to come out again and, to this day, I am surrounded by chaos. So, I got what I needed and set up in the dining room and, well, then accepted my first invite for a bush walk in my new town. I really needed to accept this and it was only for the morning so I would have the rest of yesterday to myself. Well, we didn't factor in the car breaking down among other unforeseeables! So, it has been a mad rush to do this piece last night and today.



So, the background story. Just as Australia and NZ closed their borders, my mother got admitted to hospital (in NZ) and became seriously ill and was in there for 4 weeks. I flew down to Sydney, turned up 3 days in a row at the check-in desk. I had got permission to leave Australia on compassionate grounds but was waiting to get permission to enter NZ from their immigration. Why would they say no - mum has no family in NZ, is elderly, was seriously ill and I had grown up in NZ, lived there as an adult, paid taxes, visit there sometimes as many as 10 times a year? But no. They said no. I had a spectacular breakdown at the airport and then had to head home. 

After a month in hospital, mum had another month in a serviced apartment at her retirement village and that was really up and down. She needed a lot of support. She has now been home for 2 weeks and that has been up and down too. My mum is 81 and has a serious blood disorder which is not curable. I am faced with the possibility that it will be many months before NZ allows me (and others) in. It has been the hardest time of my life as my mother and I are best friends as well as family.  Hence, I really didn't think I would be able to participate this month. 

However, I started to think how it was like mum was in prison when she was in hospital. She was so very desperate to go home. And I felt like I was a prisoner - not free to move freely between countries as I have been so privelleged to be able to do all my life. So, I asked my friend from the US who had lived in NY if she knew of any art deco prisons. She came up with the Women's House of Detention - the only art deco prison. Perfect! And then I came across a photo of the sick ward. Even more perfect! 


I used cotton organdie I had left over from a pojagi workshop. I used two layers with a third layer of self-dyed yellow for the main window. I folded a few structural lines into the fabric and then mostly free motion quilted and finally, painted with water colours.  

You will see that I haven't included the woman in the photo in my work. Initially, I was going to sew an image of a woman lying in bed looking towards the window and the sun (mum craved to be in fresh air and feel the warmth of the sun on her skin). But then mum was discharged and I just couldn't bring myself to have anybody in my piece to give the clear message that mum and I don't want her to go back in there, ever!

Below is a link to the fascinating history of the house of detention and also to the site where I got the image from.


14 comments:

  1. A very interesting story behind your piece. I am a little stuck for words other than love your piece; the stitching, the painting all works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Phil. It was good to be able to channel some of the story into something tangible.

      Delete
  2. Whilst New Zealand has been incredibly successful at containing the virus it has obviously been at huge personal cost.
    Your rendering of this prison ward, reflects the bleakness of being contained whether then or now.
    Here's to a brighter future for us all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. Yes, bleak is the word that came to mind when I finished this. Yes, NZ has been very successful and I have to be thankful that they kept my friends and mum safe. And, yes, here's to a brighter future!

      Delete
  3. There so many layers of story in this piece. Whilst the piece finishes up a sombre picture, the sun is shining and your mother has recovered and gone home. I love that it feels ethereal; the moments have passed and become ghost-like memories. Amazing that you were pointed towards this building at this particular time. I'm a believer in things coming together at the right time.

    Hope your mother continues to recover and you get together soon. Love the bush walk adventure but slightly worried about finding termites!

    Thanks for the links to the history of the building. It does not make for happy reading.

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hilary, yes, ethereal is perfect for this as is 'ghost-like memories' especially when you look at it from the other side where the grey is softer. Yes, bush walking good, termites not so good but they seem to have been successfully treated - time will tell!

      Delete
  4. I love your quilt and the story behind it. I hope that your mother continues to get well. We had a simialr situation: my father in law fell at home at the beginning of lockdown and spent 2 months stuck in a hospital room, with no visitors allowed, until 2 weeks ago when my husband and his brothers were allowed one compassionate visit (not all together, just one at a time), which needed special papers. He's now been in the same retirement home as my mother in law, but had to endure another 2 weeks of isolation thereafter his arrival.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my... two months in hospital. How difficult that must have been for everyone. I hope your father-in-law has been mentally strong enough to get through such an extended time separated from family.

      Delete
  5. I trust your mother is well on the way to recovery. Your piece certainly reflects a time and place which shows how you were feeling at the time. Your piece is from a different place but still reflects hope depicted in the window of light. A thoughtful and very personal piece you have made your own.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the link you included - it really helped to put your piece into even more context. I am so sorry your mum has suffered even more during this time and I am very glad to hear she is now out of the hospital and on the road to feeling much more comfortable and at home. I hope you will be able to hold her in your arms again soon.
    I very much like your piece on lots of levels and agree with Hilary - it has such a melancholy feel even without knowing what lies behind it. I am glad you left out the figure - it isn't part of the story you wanted to portray. The techniques you describe are superb, thanks for sharing those.
    Although terribly sad I'm glad you have made it and I hope you are too. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Patricia, thanks to you and others for your kind wishes about mum. It is an up and down road to some level of recovery. Yes, my piece really does reflect how I feel - grim but holding on to hope. It has been good to 'have to' produce something as I would have been in my head all this time which is nowhere near as therapeutic as creating!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an emotional rollercoaster you've been on. So glad to hear your mother is getting better now. It's a fascinating piece, made even more interesting by the back story. Let's hope you get to visit your mother in the not so far distant future.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the story behind your work, and how traumatic for you going all the way to NZ to spend time with your Mom and then, not being allowed to stay! You have depicted your mood very well in the piece. I hope your Mom gets better quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have captured the mood really well. I'm glad to hear that your mum is back in her own place and is getting better. I sure hope you can get over there soon to see her.

    ReplyDelete