Pages

Sunday 31 May 2020

BEREA STYLE - DURBAN

Durban, where I live, is known as the Art Deco city of South Africa.   Hence I have twisted the challenge from NY Art Deco to Durban Art Deco with a hint of New York.

The building I have chosen is Surrey Mansions, Currie Rd and I have taken the lions head on one of the fluted pilasters as my starting point.



With a bit of imagination I could see the New York Beauty block in the design.  I also noticed  near the top of another building, Quadrant House along the Esplanade , a design that shouted out peacock.


Unfortunately with lockdown I have not been able to get out and take better photographs of the  buildings (we are only allowed out for shopping and healthcare facilities) and also my choice of fabrics was restricted to working with what I had at the time.

With all this info gathered my piece transformed into an art deco peacock.


I had quilted two of the feathers when I realized it was not working as I had imagined but it was too late to unpick as I would have had a problem getting rid of the 'holes'. I can live with it! 

9 comments:

  1. Phil, what a great idea to use the inspiration on your own doorstep. The patterns you chose to focus on are really iconic - those rays are such a strong feature in many deco designs aren't they?
    Your peacock looks fabulous - I'm not sure what you mean about the quilting - it works for me and is beautifully stitched. The colour palette you have chosen i also very serene - I think it works very well indeed.
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Phil on choosing designs from your home town and marrying it with our subject of New York Art Deco. Your peacock is beautifully executed and using the rays from the design and incorporating them into the bird was inspired. I love the quilting. Well done. A great idea and beautifully executed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's gorgeous and beautifully stitched - well worth looking at the larger version.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another lovely piece where lots of different threads and elements are brought together to make a unique piece. Your choice of colours, shapes and quilting weld together beautifully. Nice one. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the idea and the quilting on this piece. It all works so well together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. your peacock is lovely and the quilting is great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely interpretation of the design Phil. I like the colours and the quilting too. You are keeping in your theme of creating art based on your locale.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the way you allowed the lion to morph into a peacock. And the peacock is so simple but somehow so expressive. I wonder what he is checking out as he sits there so still?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like the idea and the quilting on this piece. It all works so well together.

    ReplyDelete