Pages

Sunday 28 February 2021

Doors - February 2021

 Hi everyone

I thought I would try just a piece of a door - so here it is. I think I'm going to call it Knock Knock!


Years ago I made a day visit to Manda island and saw lots of really old heavy doors, some of which you could peep through into fascinating inner courtyards. I thought heavy old iron door furniture was fascinating so decided to focus on that. The pattern is a simplified version of an old piece of wrought iron which I carved in lino and then printed onto heavy interfacing. This piece has a total of 4 layers - 2 for the dark front section and 2 for the paler back section. I cut out all the voids on the darker print and have stitched it on with spacers so it hovers over the background. By rotating the front print it makes for an interesting contrast to the rear. 

The moveable 'knocker' part was the biggest challenge. I have been exploring curved folds for a while and making extreme curves allows fabric to fold over on itself; this is the result - the origins are in god old Bauhaus again. I think it makes the perfect 'knocker'! Prints made with water soluble printing ink, knocker coloured with acrylic paint, gold flake and fabric medium. 

Hope you like it!


I also have some news that is good and bad at the same time. I have agreed to taken on a new role at SAQA which is going to demand a lot of time, which in turn means I have to stop doing so much. I have absolutely loved being part of this group, everyone is so creative and supportive and I have had great fun with the challenges, both making my own and seeing the incredible things everyone else creates. So sadly this is going to be my last piece - kind of fitting being a door!!!! Of course I will still look in every month and admire your work. 

Thanks for having me as a member. I have loved it and I hope you will welcome Momo who is going to take my place. Have fun Momo, I hope you love trying out new ideas as much as I have. Everyone in this group is so friendly and supportive I'm sure you will fit right in in no time. 

Love

Claire

x


12 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. Hope your fingers have recovered but certainly it has all paid off. Amazing piece. The knocker is another work of art. Oh dear Claire I will miss all that you have shown this group. All the very best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your print and the three-D effect of superimposing the second print. I'd never had thought of trying to do curved folds like that. They are really effective, though I think I would prefer your door without the knocker. I have really enjoyed your take on the challenges: you always bring something fresh and new to them. You will be missed. Good luck with SAQA and keep in touch with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, what a way to go! You are making it even harder to say 'tot siens' (Afrikaans for 'till we meet again' which the 7 members with SA connections will understand). As you say, one doors closes but another opens...

    If ever there was an example of 'less is more' this is it. I absolutely love how you have handled the design and worked through the difference ways and methods to express the units. Perfect harmony and unity. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. We'll miss you Claire but our loss is definitely SAQA's gain. I'll miss your 3d theme interpretations.

    I knew I'd like this piece when you showed us the teaser. The floating layer acts as a wonderful base for your clever rolled fabric knocker and the overall effect is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the depth in this piece - both by the layers and 3D effect of the knocker, but also your use of colour. It's beautiful.
    And I hope you enjoy your new adventure with SAQA. We'll miss you here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful example of patience, skill and artistic flair! I really feel inspired to try 3D. Thank you for that and I wish you all the very best with SAQA.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wishing all the best with your SAQA role Clare which I hope you will enjoy . We shall certainly miss you in the group.
    This final piece from you is really intricate and must have required a great deal of time and patience with all the cutting out you had to do . But well worth it in the end as it has evolved into a wonderful piece. Thanks for letting us understand how the knocker came into being.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We will really miss you Claire. You have been such an inspiration as can be seen by this beautiful piece of work you have produced here. Wonderful piece of which is an outstanding example of your artistic flair and thought process. Wishing you all the best with your new journey with SAQA.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We're going to miss you Claire. I love the way you've been able to introduce 3D elements into all your pieces. The inner knocker reminds me of origami pieces I used to do years ago. I wish I could see this piece up close and in person - I want to try looking at it from different angles.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Too beautiful Claire! Thanks too for 'the story behind the story'. I love it - both the iron door design and the knocker. We will miss seeing your work but Good Luck in your new role. Hope you will make some time to be creative!.

    ReplyDelete
  11. First congratulations Claire, as a member of SAQA, I had noticed that you had become more and more active. Well done. You will be missed in the group. I shall look forward to the next chapter with Momo as a new member.
    Beautiful door, very challenging to execute, I hope to see this piece in person one day, as I'm sure the pictures doesn't do it justice.

    ReplyDelete