Pages

Sunday 28 February 2021

Unhinged

“Unhinged “ is my idea of an old Medieval/Tudor door, with the old hinges falling of due to age. It only exist in my head. As so often, my inspiration came from the fabric.

Unhinged


This has been a dream challenge, I have always been attached to old doors. Thank you, Linda.


So these pictures of old doors are just a reference.
It helps me to use black and white, so I do not get distracted by the colours.
 
Old Doors by Ole Henriksen

This was my starting point


Materials used:
Hand printet cotton sateen (made in ca. 2014), mulberry bark, unspun wool and silk. Cotton and silk thread. Mother of pearl buttons (back to front).


Note: Due to lack of time the quilt and the starting point was photographed using my iPad, proper photos will be taken later.


12 comments:

  1. Fabric perfect and I love the use of the bark, wool and silk for the rusting hinges. Great to have you back with us. I love how you create such strong pieces with minimal of colour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back Mai-Britt!I love your new piece - you have captured the decay really effectively with colour and texture. Love it! Claire

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good to have you back Mai-Britt. Your fabric is just right for a decaying door, and the hinges.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, you have your mojo back, Mai-Britt. Love the choice of materials and the minimal use of colour to express the essence of old doors. Stylish. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay - welcome back!

    How wonderful to give life to a piece of fabric that has been waiting for the right moment. I love your restrained use of stitch, you've hit that 'just enough' point perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mai-Britt. I love the suggestion of your old door, without it being a door. The hinges are very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love the photo of your starting point. A tantalising collection of materials. That piece of fabric is quite exquisite and I like the way you have been able to showcase it at the same time as give the suggestion of a door with very clever hinges.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the shimmer and patterning on your background piece enhanced by the choice of materials you used for the hinges. A very different take on a door - wish my imagination would lead me into these interesting ways of embellishing a design .Very well thought out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome back Mai-Britt it is so good to be able to enjoy your work once again. I always love your simplicity and yet it brings the subject into full focus. Your piece and choice of fabric and colour as well as your design just go together perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's lovely having you back Mai-Britt. I'm always lost in admiration for how you manage to interpret an idea in a minimalistic way, and yet still seem to convey lots of meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very unusual piece, Mai-Britt. I can see why you were influenced by the fabric itself. I also have some pieces which I have dyed over the years and can't see where to use them, but still hang onto them religiously! Well done.

    ReplyDelete