Pages

Saturday 27 February 2021

KNOCK KNOCK!

I visited my best friend in Ras Al Khaimah in the UAE in 2013. She took me to check-out the local abandoned pearling village - Al Jazirat Al Hamrah. It was amazing! We took a photo with a door standing as a solitary reminder to the dwelling it once gave entry to.


Sue is an extremely funny woman and on a visit to another friend of mine many years earlier, had her young son in stitches with knock knock jokes* - a night none of us have forgotten. So, I couldn't resist combining the humour and the door memories with a bit of drawing, applique, free motion quilting, sequins and beads. It makes me smile every time I look at it. (I see the colour is quite different depending on whether I look at it on my phone or laptop. It is quite vibrant but may show as a bit flat.)






* His favourite was 'Knock knock!', 'Who's there?', 'Artichoke', 'Artichoke who', 'Artichoke YOU'! 

Here is an article and photos of the abandoned pearling village if you are interested.

https://thetravelhack.com/uae/al-jazirat-al-hamra-the-ghost-town-of-ras-al-khaimah/

12 comments:

  1. What a fascinating, strange place. It sounds like the perfect place to visit. Your quilt and the story made me laugh, we need more laughs in these weird times. Thanks for sharing, Amanda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudo's to you for the humorous take. Such fun and a good giggle. The colours are lovely and bright on both my phone and tablet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just been onto a site re the village and not sure if you know but in 2018 they started restoration on 20 houses and will be adding all the other normal needs, i.e.loos, to create a proper tourist attraction site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's interesting. I didn't know that. Thank you. It is definitely a place to be visited and preserved, however, I feel very lucky to have been able to see it when it was off most people's radar.

      Delete
  4. I think it's great when you can make a quilt which fits in with the theme and has such personal memories behind it. I love the bright colours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great fun quilt. It is nice when a story comes together isn't it? CLaire x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun! So pleased someone found some humour in the theme - that's not a criticism just that it's a nice twist. Love the story and memories stitched into this piece. This photo must have seemed like a gift when the theme was announced. Nice one! Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your "cartoon" rendition - it's a great reflection of the humour that you enjoy with your friend. Perhaps you need to make a second for her......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! Yes, perhaps I should though she is probably a little over it now as she has seen it evolve every step of the way including the sketches which, well, they were the funniest part of the whole process as I somehow made myself look like a mix between someone from Planet of the Apes and the Adams Family! :-)

      Delete
  8. What fun Amanda!I remember those knock knock jokes and the fun one could have with them . I love the brightness of the colours and the simplicity of it with words in clouds in typical cartoon manner.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the fun aspect of the theme as well as something that brings back happy memories - we need something like this in these strange times. The colours are bright and vibrant and bring out the humour in the piece. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great way to use the challenge, and such fun! I too have happy memories of knock-knock jokes. My favourite one as a child 'Knock-knock' 'Who's there?' 'Doctor' 'Doctor Who?' 'That's right'- one for the Brits born in the 50s and 60s I expect. Love the colours you've used.

    ReplyDelete