Pages

Sunday 28 February 2021

Door Numbers

 Goodness, how many things can go wrong with one piece? 

  • I lost track of time and left myself with just a few days to make the piece
  • My paints, unused for some time, are drying out so the overprinting didn't work as planned
  • I carefully reversed my numbers on the bondaweb when I didn't need to
  • And last, but not least, my main machine decided to abandon all pretense of maintaining an even tension!
But I still enjoyed making this piece and it makes me smile - whether that's the colour palette or the memories or a bit of both I don't know but I like it!
  • It was good to start and finish something in a short space of time
  • I didn't mind that my patchwork pieces weren't flattened with paint as intended. I'd already decided that I want to get back to my patchwork roots this year!
  • I bonded organza to the right side of the numbers so that I could still use them
  • I'm fortunate to have a second lightweight machine for classes which has far fewer functions and doesn't have a wonderful free motion foot, but does an amazing job with the foot removed! 
  • And last not but least I re-discovered how much I enjoy scribble quilting.


As for the piece itself the numbers represent, with the exception of a year in hall, all the doors I've ever lived behind. The size of the numbers represent time spent at each address from less than six months in a disastrous college lodging house to 45 years in our previous home. The colours were just a personal response to the grey skies we've been living under recently, though today there isn't a cloud in the sky  and I had my morning coffee outside in the sun!





9 comments:

  1. I love your take on the theme and the colours, it's really cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clever! I like your take on 'doors'. Yes, how many numbers have we all lived behind in our lifetimes? And your colours make me smile. Making the size of the numbers relative to the length of stay was inspired. My sympathies with all those events conspiring against you and congrats on being victorious. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree very clever and to make it so personal. A real fun piece. Gosh not sure I would remember all my past numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great interpretation Linda! Nicely put together and a cheerful piece to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your idea and the end result, its history and relevance to the present day by using bright colours. I would need a king size quilt if I were to record all my house numbers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aren't we lucky to have small backup machines?! Such an excellent take on doors using the numbers behind which you have lived . You have combined the colours to give the piece real vibrancy .Well done for a very 'outside the box' take on the theme.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting take on the theme. Your colours are so vibrant and what we all need at this time. It is indeed a piece of your history as Amanda has said. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A clever look at the challenge - I love it. So bright and cheerful, and with so much meaning behind it. I too love scribble quilting and am finding myself more and more drawn towards traditional patchwork: after all, that was the reason I got fascinated by quilts in the first place. We all need cheerful colours in our lives at the moment, though the sun yesterday really made me feel spring is on it's way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very clever idea to show all the numbers of where you have lived. I really like it and the numbers are so beautifully done too! The patchwork background looks cheerful. Well done Linda B.

    ReplyDelete