Pages

Tuesday 23 February 2021

THE NEXT CHALLENGE

 FENCES AND WALLS

Constructions designed to do one or more of the following

Protect, restrict, divide, enclose, surround

Architects design walls and fences. However, not all walls and fences are designed by architects so I am hoping that my choice of topic does not stray too far from the overriding theme of architecture. (I won't be offended if you ask me to rethink the challenge.)

Over the years, I have been treated to up-close-and-slow views of all manner of fences and walls as I have walked through suburbia, across the north of Spain, along the wonderful SE QLD and Northern NSW coastline, and along segments of the Larapinta Trail in Central Australia.

It seems there are few places untouched by fences and walls of some kind – even in the desert it is possible to come across remnants of fences, and indeed the beginnings of a wall (which, thankfully, will remain unfinished)! Even the coast has fences and walls to, for example, to control erosion.

I am very interested to see what type of fence or wall you choose to translate and whether it is a literal piece or perhaps metaphorical!

5 comments:

  1. Love it. Thank you, Amanda. Plenty of scope. Man has been the architect of the landscape/countryside for millennia building walls and fences - and metaphorical walls/fences, mmmh... Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great topic Amanda. We came up with so many subjects on our walk this morning. It's going to be hard to choose!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phew Amanda. This one will certainly get us thinking "outside the box"! An unexpected choice and certainly a huge challenge for me which is what the blog is all about. Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a sketchbook full of walls, windows and doors from years ago, which has come in useful in this series: I'm hoping to find some inspiration in there. Otherwise, I could revamp my windows quilt, as there is plenty of wall! Only joking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmmmm! When I think back I have used fences and walls in previous pieces. Maybe time to look deeper and further into it?

    ReplyDelete