Pages

Sunday 28 February 2021

Door hinge

I have a large collection of photographs of doors taken in many countries over several years. When I went through these I noticed that I had a tendancy to focus on old doors with elaborate hinges. Not only do these hinges allow the door to move, in many cases they also hold the planks of wood together. I took one of my favourite doors, and enlarged the hinge section (actually, in this case, a section of iron work purely there to hold the door together) before tracing the design using Illustrator.
My first attempt used a centrally positioned image, sewn then painted with Tsukineko inks.
I was dissatidfied on many levels, artistic and technically, so I went back to the drawing board. Here's my final version, using the image off-centre and fused applique for the hinge. I'm pleased with the result - finally!

9 comments:

  1. Perseverance paid off, Linda. Definitely a stronger piece artistically. Love the little bolts/nails holding the wrought iron in place. This appeals to me because the lovely flowing lines with the hint of Celtic knotwork or rambling branches. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like both quilts, though the second is definitely the stronger one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. More interest and intrique in the second one. Absolutely love the door and its metal work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your attention to detail is amazing - it's definitely worth looking at both these pieces full screen.
    Your colour and fabric choices work well on both pieces but I can see why the second piece had to be made!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like both quilts Linda, but the second is definitely more visually interesting especially with the dyed fabric for the hinge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you doing a second one! I like both but agree with you and others regarding the second one. I particularly like the texture of the background funnily enough - I want to run my fingers across it - white gloved of course!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The metal door from which you took your design is wonderful . I like both your pieces , the one with absolute symmetry and the other with a part of the design emphasised . I also enjoyed the fact that you made different colour choices for the two . Straight line quilting in the background gives excellent contrast to the curves of the design .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done on going the extra mile and doing a second version which I also prefer. As Rosemary said the straight line quilting is perfect. Looks like it was a lot of work but worth every minute as it is a really great piece.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautifully done Linda. I like both the pieces actually. A very clever idea to do a close-up. As the others have said, the straight-line quilting is a lovely contrast to the intricate design. Really enjoy the 2 pieces.

    ReplyDelete