Pages

Friday 28 February 2020

A good idea goes bad ...

I had a couple of ideas early on for this challenge. The one I chose to develop was based on what we see depending on which side of a window we are on and the difference the view makes. There are lots of touch points for me in this idea which I'd like to explore but the quilt I’m showing today doesn’t do the idea justice.
I had to leave the making of the quilt until I went on our NWCQ retreat but I’d forgotten that clearing the kitchen for re-development meant restricted access to my fabric. So instead of a series of windows with inside/outside views I’ve had to capture my idea using basic frames and text and the result is sadly underwhelming.
I thought about re-making the piece and submitting late but there is still little time for stitching.  By the end of April the majority of the work on our new house will be complete, and my commitment to our wonderful Quilters’ Guild over, so hopefully I’ll be able to give our challenges more time.

10 comments:

  1. It seems creators often feel their work underwhelming because they know what the original idea was. However, for those of us looking without any particular expectation, we can enjoy and marvel at the results. As I am doing in this case. I love your wall hanging. I love the colours you have used and the lines and placement of windows. I am particularly interested in the text. Does it say something in particular?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each window represents a different persona with an associated dialogue. There's a busy young mother who can only see others having a better life through her window, a lonely pensioner whose days are enlivened by the activity out side his window and me, looking in on myself working and wondering ...

      Delete
  2. I love your simplistic style and abstract imagery of windows. You should be very happy with this piece. I know the problems of not being able to get to things - our house is being extended as well, though happily we had the studio finished before the work on the kitchen began.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really do like your piece and I wouldn't say it is underwhelming but I really like the simplicity and the positioning of the window frames as well as the colours you have used. Your design is very pleasing and really good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with the above comments. The simple, clean lines work well. Very pleasing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the simplicity of your piece too. I agree with Amanda that it's not easy to evaluate what we have created, as it doesn't sometimes doen't tally with the idea in our heads

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have guessed this was yours, Linda B without seeing your name. A classic minimalist piece, balanced in layout and colours. Love the conversations in each window. Not underwhelming - strangely thought provoking and satisfying. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. The interesting phenomenon this piece is the depths you have created so that each window stands forward from the one behind . So interesting . Thanks for giving us the meaning behind the texts. I had not realised that they each had special meanings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Linda B for your piece and 'putting us in the picture' with the words in the windows! Very interesting and unusual take on the theme.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry for my delay Linda. I like the minimalist look of your windows and the thought behind them of the various different people.

    ReplyDelete