Pages

Saturday 29 February 2020

ART DECO WINDOW

I have always been fascinated and drawn to Art Deco / Art Nouveau designs and so it was a natural that I would use one of them as my interpretation/inspiration under the current theme.  Windows fell into it perfectly.  



This is my choice and this is the result.....


The background cloth is coffee dyed white cotton.  The glass is made up of two layers of organza and one layer of chiffon with a very subtle white dotty swirl on it.  The flowers and leaves were painted onto the one layer of organza and sandwiched between the other slightly darker shade of organza and the chiffon piece. The window frame is appliqued and then the piece quilted.   I am not 100% happy with the quilting around the window.  My lines got a bit lost in translation.  The binding became an issue and caused my delay in getting it finished.  I eventually found the piece I have used.  It was my best option and although slightly more green than I would have liked I can live with it.

10 comments:

  1. This is lovely. I like the way that you have suggested the patterned glass and the way it is asymmetrical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jinnie. The subtlety of the flowers and leaves is excellent and I like the colours you have chosen. I think the quilting round the window is fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great choice for your window you have done a great job in recreating it in fabric. All those bricks must have driven you mad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One stiff neck and shoulder. Never again!

      Delete
  4. I deliberately avoided a literal interpretation as I knew I wouldn’t achieve this standard. Your re-creation of the coloured glass is wonderfully subtle. Hope the shoulders have recovered!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully done Phil. The window effect is very feminine/ delicate - stunning! You can now do another Art Deco piece for our next challenge - exciting and looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see what you mean about jumping the gun on Rosemary's Art Deco theme. What a beautiful window and your interpretation does it huge justice. Well done, you for all that work getting the glass just right and the all the bricks. Your choice of fabrics has paid off handsomely. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really do like your piece and I can just imagine how difficult the window glass with the flowers were done. It is perfect and I do admire you for quilting all those bricks - I took the easy way out and used brick printed fabric which I found in my stash! A really lovely piece of work. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful Phil! I think the binding colour works perfectly for picking up the colours in your piece. And the window has just depth with all your coloured layers. And great quilting !!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As usual your piece has been beautifully finished off . The brickwork must have driven you mad apart from the stiff neck and shoulders! However in the end it must give you a wonderful sense of achievement . The effect of the shiny glass is superb.

    ReplyDelete