Pages

Saturday 29 February 2020

Almost finished?

As predicted, I failed to manage any quilting on my piece before the deadline.  However I am quite pleased with the result so far.  This used a photograph from my files, taken some years ago, and I just loved the colours involved.  I started out thinking I would make a more abstract, simplified version of the photograph, but inevitably ended up with a more photo realistic version (I blame my engineering background).

And here's the photograph I tried to post a few days ago of an older challenge, which I also failed to quilt in time, now finished.

Both of these pieces were influenced by a course I did with Lea McComas at the Festival of Quilts last August.  The windows piece used her method of translating a photograph into shades of dark and white, which I then used on each coloured section.  The latter one used her idea of covering the work with a fine, neutral coloured, net  before quilting to hold all the tiny pieces of fabric in place.  I won't be using the fine net option again - to me it reduced the vibrancy of the colours too much. 

10 comments:

  1. I can see why you were drawn to this photograph, the colours are fantastic. Well done.
    The quilting on your older piece is perfect and pulls the whole piece together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The window is really beautiful. I love the way you have used the fabric in the panes to show reflections, and the colours are so attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is superb. I wish the image was larger as I would love to see it more closely. The composition is fabulous and the vibrant colours really work. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glass and reflections are so hard to recreate but you've managed it well. Love the use of a partial window which gives the piece a lot of life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the 2 pieces in one posting. Very different and so interesting! The architectural piece appeals to me more but the 2nd one is more 'children's picture book' style.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow and well done. I love your choice of 'window' picture - as an architectural draughtsman I am with you on the very realistic interpretation. I find it very hard to loosen up at all. Is the house somewhere in the orient? Congrats on getting the scale and perspective spot on. Love the colours and your choice of fabrics.
    Delighted to see the Andriacci piece finished. It is so true what they say: quilting makes the quilt. There is something special about the addition of texture and light playing on the surface after a piece has been quilted.
    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both so different but each one a perfect representation of the subject. I love the window panes and the colours are beautiful. A really lovely piece of work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your window - I like the angle, the colours, the lines. How did you get the shadows - was that different fabric or did you paint? It's very well done.

    Your Andriacci piece is delightful. Beautiful quilting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all done with different bits of fabric. I divided each colour up into 5 shades from light to dark, then fused them on following my pattern traced onto freezer paper from the original photograph. One lesson learnt was that each colour in the original needed different settings when converting the photo to monotone in order to see the shade variations.

      Delete
  9. You have done Andriacci proud with your delightful piece .Worth waiting to see.
    I love your windows piece which is colourful and full of interest .It is difficult to think about the quilting although with windows it really needs to be simple don't you think ?

    ReplyDelete