Pages

Friday 31 August 2018


INSPIRED BY AFRICA

I was very priviledged to be invited by friends of mine to join them during June at their private lodge in Madikwe Game Reserve which is situated in South Africa right on the eastern border of Botswana.  We had our own game ranger and open game viewing vehicle at our disposal and the reserve is 87000 hectares of bush, which is also malaria free, which is an added bonus.  Amongst the vast area and game of every description they also have the Big Five, of which we were fortunate enough to see four - unfortunately not a Leopard in sight!  What a treat, and whilst there, Phil sent me the name of the next artist (the wif-fi was almost non-existent) but I had a window and got her message.  On returning home I went through our artist's works and then the many photographs that I took and was inspired to combine the two.
Munter's work struck me as being very serene and on going through her landscapes (very different to Africa) I tried to capture the serenity of her work and hopefully I have done it justice.
 

This first picture is our artist's piece that I chose as my inspiration.




This is my photograph at a water hole featuring a dead African Leadwood tree set in the middle of the water.




This is my piece which hopefully captures what I set out to do.  I used hand dyed fabric but drew the tree onto calico and appliqued it onto the background (minus the bird's nests) and then painted the tree, outlining it in black thread.  I also tried to get some variation of colour onto the water and used dry inktense paint blocks.  I did not quilt the sky as I thought the piece needed to be kept free of stitching.

10 comments:

  1. That painting by Munter could have been of Table Mountain. Great interpretation of your photo 'in the style of' Munter, Patricia. Lucky you on that holiday - sounds fantastic. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great holiday pic to use as your inspiration & well interpreted. I agree....the sky did not need quilting

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again a great combination of two different inspirations. Agree on the non quilting of the sky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing trip. how great to be able to combine our challenge with a souvenir quilted piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my word, this is fabulous; I also looked at this piece by Gabrielle Munter and though 'Table Mountain'! You lucky thing to go to Madikwe, what wonderful memories you will have - and your beautiful quilt will remind you too. Happy days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this piece of yours . You have definitely captured Munter's painting but given it the African slant with the changed landscape and the tree in the middle of the water . I know you loved your trip to Madikwe and this will be a great reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great interpretation Patricia and a great memory! I like how you have set up the tree with the background scene, and I really like the quilting you did on the ground. Skies are hard to quilt - part of me says that you should do some to balance the quilting in the rest, but I can't think of how without it looking somewhat twee or overdone. As you can tell, I've faced this dilemma before!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the quilting. I too think the sky could do with some quilting, but agree with Dianne about the difficulties of doing it. The holiday sounds wonderful: what were the four that you saw? I have no idea what the big five are, though I should imagine that the lion is one of them, apart from the leopard that you didn't see, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jinnie. The big 5 are Rhino, Elephant, Buffalo, Lion and Leopard.

      Delete
  9. Very African-looking sight ( I remember seeing a similar picture taken in the Kariba Dam ). It's always a big question: what to quilt and what not to quilt! Well done.

    ReplyDelete