Pages

Friday 31 August 2018

Lino Print: 'Street Boy'
Lino print on cotton fabric with oil based ink and coloured with fibre reactive dye
'Street Boy' Inspired by Gabriele Münter's piece,  'Aurelie'.

Thanks Uta for your inspired choice of Gabriele Münter. Once again, another artist new to me. I was so pleased to find Münter also created work with coloured woodcut prints - one of my favourite things to do, so I really enjoyed making the printing block and the quilt.

I chose Münter's print of 'Aurelie', (1906), in rose, orange, yellow, red and black on Japan paper. It is only small at 18.5cm by 16cm.


Gabriele Münter, Aurelie, 1906, Los Angeles County Museum of Art, the Robert Gore Rifkind Center for German Expressionist Studies, © 2013 Gabriele Münter/Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York/VG Bild-Kunst, Bonn, photo © 2013 Museum Associates/ LACMA


For my interpretation I decided to use a small drawing of a boy - I am also working on a series of work about child labour, so I have a lot of drawings to chose from). This is the one I picked.



and then carved a block from a piece of vinyl.





And here is the print on white fabric...


I coloured the print with thickened fibre reactive dye and ink, then added multiple layers of wadding to different parts of the image and used different densities of stitch stitch to create dimension to the finished piece. 

Thanks Uta!

x




13 comments:

  1. Oh WOW! Congrats, Claire, fabulous. And thanks for the photos of the process. Not sure I would have tackled such a large lino cut but you have inspired me to have a go. I did some 'in a previous life' it was so long ago!
    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary - I just love carving lino- and a 12" block isn't so bad - lots of it was background clearout. I didn't know you were a lino fan too!

      Delete
  2. Claire this is absolutely marvellous and thank you for showing us the process. It is really great and looks like a lot of thought and work went into this piece. You should be really pleased.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patricia. I guess when you love doing something it isn't nearly so hard! xxx

      Delete
  3. Well done Claire on tackling the real deal. Great piece. Worth all the work you have done to get to your result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Phil - thanks, but yours is incredible. Wish I had thought of it!

      Delete
  4. Great new way of translating a piece of art into anther piece of art. Loved to see your process.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too was impressed with her woodcuts and yours has done her justice. bravo! thanks for the process photos. I must try to remember to take some next time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Helena, I agree, her woodcuts were great. I have never tried wood - just softer stuff like lino.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for sharing your process which ended in a magnificent piece with extensive detail on the child's face . Wonderful technique and so interesting to me as I have never tried anything like this

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a stunning piece you have produced Claire! As someone who has never done a lino cut I am so impressed with the detail on yours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your interpretation of the theme. Her woodblock prints are lovely, aren't they. I was considering doing one too, but wasn't sure about what image to use. I did a lino print last time, but I didn't have a large enough piece of lino in stock and didn't want to do another quilt with a multiple image.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is very impressive! I also did lino printing many moons ago and may be inspired to try again. Very different from the rest of our pieces.

    ReplyDelete