Pages

Friday 31 August 2018

Old Harry

This time I have tried to loosen up and abstract the content - maybe I went too far but Old Harry has gone to South Africa so I can't fiddle with it as I was tempted!  I have been intrigued by how some artists put down a base colour before painting over the top and that the base colour often shows through.  I wondered if this was what Gabriele did with her paintings that had black outlines. I have seen orange used very effectively.  So I decided to try this out and chose a lime green fabric.  Overall I am happy with the piece but I realize that using a plain white for the cliffs was wrong and it stands out amongst the other fabrics which are 'mottled'.  I was tempted to go and add some mottling to the white (I feel I should have and I may still do that when it gets back).  Anyway, it is the most abstracted piece I think I have done - the temptation to add detail was almost overpowering.

Hilary

Old Harry

Jawlensky and Werefkin by Munter

Old Harry Rocks, Dorset, UK

9 comments:

  1. Great combination, Hilary - I think it's a good thing you have sent it off. No more fiddling, less is more, love it as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant job Hilary. I agree thoug that the white is a bit stark. adding some mottling would by a great addition. But I love how you have captured the rock formation and scenery in such a simple an effective way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant job Hilary. I am trying to be less 'literal' - I an going to try and think more like you - taking the essence of things. I love your interpretation - and although the solid white is a bit stark I also think it contrasts with the mottled white well. Perhaps a tiny bit of oil stick will knock it back a bit - just not too much!!!!!!!!!

    Your idea of working on a whole coloured background is very thoughtful. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the flesh the white did not worry me at all but now seeing it as a photograph I agree that it maybe does need knocking back a bit. It definitely looks very different in the flesh which begs the question....stick with what you have done or use your pic to finish it off? I do love the simplicity of it & leaving that green line between the sea & the sky just makes it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the abstraction of the rock formations . Looking at the photograph these formations must be very white -they talk about The White Cliffs Of Dover after all and I have often wondered how 'white' they actually are. I think you have used the white fabric in this piece very successfully .

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the simplicity in this Hilary. I'm okay with the white, but you could do a second piece and just lightly - white on white - put some texture in there. I love the flowers on the green. Just the right touch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree about the white being a little stark, but then after having read the comment by Phil about it not being so obvious in the flesh (or should that be in the fabric?!)maybe it is not as noticable as you think.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting piece Hilary and as they are 'the white cliffs of Dover' I would leave it just as it is. The little white flowers are lovely too.

    ReplyDelete