Pages

Thursday 30 August 2018

Vase of flowers


Gabriele Munter's vase of flowers


My interpretation of Gabriele's work



Some of Gabriele Munter’s work looks like naive art and so I tried to portray that style. Her still-life painting appealed to me because I have never done one before. The background was a self-dyed piece of poly-cotton; at the end I added a little bit of embroidery here and there to make it more interesting. The vase was done using a Japanese scarf I had and I tacked a variegated sashiko thread on the table cloth. It was difficult to control myself and not put frills, sequins or beads onto the flowers! Because I wanted to ‘bring in’ the borders, I used a red piping.

I wonder if Patricia has been inspired by the same artwork – that will be something if we have done similar pieces again!

Allison





8 comments:

  1. I love how you have interpreted her piece Allison yet made it your own with the red framing and your choice of fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Alison & I agree I love the way you have brought in your own personal touches. The red piping does just that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great interpretation of the still life, Allison. Those flowers and the vase are superb. Don't worry about the background - the vase of flowers is the focus. The red accent is just right. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Alison on your interpretation. Your background looks great as does the red piping. As you can see from mine, we didn't choose the same piece this time round but seems like you and Rosemary were likeminded on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great still life with wonderful flowers, I too agree that the piping is a good frame.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job, I love the movement added by the quilting and the vibrant flowers. I do find the bubble quilting on the right side a bit distracting though. Perhaps you could add some somewhere else too?

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very nice interpretation Allison.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh Alison I can't believe that we both chose the same picture and tackled it so differently . You were very brave to encompass the entire picture . That seemed too daunting for me !

    ReplyDelete