Pages

Monday 30 November 2020

Masset Library

 When I first thought of the idea of libraries I thought of the high arches and looks of old venerable institutions.  And then I was going to do something about our Bibliothèque National here in Montreal - but with Covid, didn't want to go and take pictures.  And then I remembered a library we passed by when we were in Masset on Haida Gwaii and that was it!  It wasn't open at the time so I didn't get to see inside.  

Haida Gwaii is such a special place - you immediately become absorbed involved with the environment there.  It is simply a part of life and you can see how the stories have evolved using the animals and flora and fauna.   So I have taken Haida art figures and floated them around the library, trying to symbolize the importance of stories be they written or oral.   

I have used my picture of the library itself printed on fabric.  And once again, my piece needs to be finished with a border of some kind.  I just can't make up my mind - 1/4" binding, 2" black frame, facing, wrapping around a wood base......  I'm open to suggestions.




9 comments:

  1. Beautiful Dianne. Love the way you have used the wild life in the sky depicting the symbolism of the actual area and also love the way you have put and picture within a picture. Very thoughtful piece and one I am sure you will treasure. I personally would face it as a border or a binding would take away from the lovely design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the way you have merged you own pic into the piece and the floating symbols add to the story. I also say face it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the subtle way you've picked up the greens and blue of the photo for the background. One day I hope to visit Haida Gwaii myself - goodness knows when though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just 'visited "Haida Gwaii" for the first time, never having heard of it before. Thank you for the introduction as Patricia says - a very symbolic piece.
    As for finishing it I'd prefer a faced finish but perhaps with a zid zag line set in from the edge to replicate the border around the photo?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Recently I find myself often using facings around a piece. Certainly avoid doing a border as it could easily detract from this lovely design with its insert. Like others I had never heard of "Haidi Gwaii"and it is always interesting to read of new places .

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great personal piece. I love the ay you have integrated your photo with the rest of the quilt, carefully placing the blocks of colour. I love the detail you have achieved when the embroidered animal figures.
    I too would simply face it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's lovely, Dianne. I guess it largely depends on what you want to do with it as to how you finish it. Wall art - faced and/or attached to canvas? I've always been drawn to cultural symbolism of the native peoples in the area. Very special. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely a facing: I agree with Rosemary about it detracting from the design. I like the blocks of colour and their placement with the photo is just right. I too had never heard of Haida Gwaii, and have just had a look at some photos: it looks gorgeous. Part of my family has lived in Canada since the 1960's,in Ontario and on Vancouver Island, but I've never been there, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like your piece for all of the reasons mentioned above. I would lean towards a dark binding. Was there any significance to your choice of symbols?

    ReplyDelete