Pages

Monday 30 November 2020

Street library - Brisbane

 

I loved this topic and had a flood of ideas. I decided it had to be a library I could visit. I decided on street libraries and heard there was one a few streets from me. So off I went only to be disappointed to find it was no longer there. I knew there were street libraries in Brisbane where I go reasonably often so googled those. I chose an image and planned to go and see it for myself and work from my own photos but, well, the Queensland border closed and then I finally got the all clear to travel to NZ to be with my mother (where I am now) so I couldn’t get to Brisbane. However, I went ahead with the project using this image from https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/queensland/street-libraries-spread-around-brisbane-20180219-p4z0uk.html as I know one day I will get to see it!


I used fabric from my mother’s stash (thanks mum 😊), drew the books and lettering with textile pens, machine appliqued and machine quilted.


By way of showing that there were books inside the fridge (also from the above link), I used print fabric for the backing.





9 comments:

  1. Great choice of subject and well interpreted. I love your background greenery too. So glad you finally got to stay with your mother in this most peculiar year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read about the street libraries. What a wonderful twist to the challenge. Great interpretation and I love the choice of backing fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an inspiration to use street libraries as your interpretation on this subject. I do like your background which sets off the library so well and the fact that this is something so close to home for you. The whole piece was a wonderful idea and beautifully executed. Your backing fabric was a very good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank goodness for technology, and your Mum's stash!

    In many ways these street libraries (We have one in an old phone box sadly is temporarily closed just now.)are so important and I'm glad that you've represented them here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A nice interpretation of this little library - never seen one in a fridge. We used to have one in our village phone box. A sign of the times - it is a food bank now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such an interesting piece and your interpretation is so inspiring . Just up the road from us, one of the householders puts books into a container from which passer's by can help themselves . I have never thought of it as a street library but that is exactly what it is !I shall contribute a few books of my own ,which I have read ,to it in the future . Such a good idea. I really like the background fabric you have used in your piece.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of a fridge full of books! This was new to me and you've pulled it off together with the text fabric on the back - perfect. Great fun. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have seen a library in a telephone box, but never in a fridge. The batiks have been used to great effect in the background, and the books look great. Your Mum's stash was perfect. You must have been so relieved to get to see your Mum at last. Ihaven't seen mine for over a year, and have no idea when we will be able to visit England, what with covid and Brexit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea to use one of these little libraries! and a fridge is certainly unique. Our former member, Helena has one outside her house that she had brightly painted.

    ReplyDelete