Pages

Monday 30 November 2020

Birmingham Library

I had a few momens of panic when I saw this challenge, but then remembered a visit I made to Birmingham Library in 2019 as part of a city tour we had organised for our European friends in the car club. I particularly loved the outside of the library, and then, when you go inside, the wonderful feeling of space and the blue colour repeated everywhere.
The outside also incorporates a roof garden with a view over the city (though that was mainly a building site when we visited).
I know I have a tendancy to be over literal when I use photos, and I really tried hard not to do a straight translation this time - but I still erred in that direction. I did the inside of the library first, choosing fabrics from diferent countries for the racks of books, imagining books ranged in geographical sections. I had planned to do much more quilting - the upper railings and the actual bookcases, but was having so many problems with my machine missing stitches that I kept the stitching to a minimum on the upper levels. Finally I free stitched the outside pattern using organza and dissolvable fabric. This took much longer than I had expected, and then, when it was finished, I decided it obscured the inside of the library too much, so cut out almost all of the organza before overlaying it. I've not had time to do the binding yet - tonight's job! Despite all the problems I loved this topic - there are so many lovely libaries out there!

9 comments:

  1. Snap with the inside/outside piece. Love the use of the different fabrics for the books. Great technique to get the outside circles as it gives some depth. That would have been an answer for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Birmingham Library was on my list to do as well as I loved the design on the outside. Not having found anything depicting the inside and having seen your piece I can only imagine how beautiful it is. It is a really stunning piece and love the way you have combined the outer design and brought it "inside" to complete the piece of work. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way you've represented the shelves and am in awe of your representation of the external design. All that cutting ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cutting didn't take very long at all - the stitching, on the other hand, took forever.

      Delete
  4. A nice combination of different views of the library. You have got the perspective just right with the circles - and I'm glad you took the time to cut away the fabric - it gives the feeling of lightness that the real cladding of the library has. Great work especially if you were fighting with your machine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your interpretation and I see using the different fabrics as representing the different categories of books - just my imagination out of control again. Perfect perspective and I agree the overlay work really well with organza cut away. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the way you have combined the inside and outside of the library. I think that cutting away the organza was the right decision.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your take on the library. The "books" look like books and and the whole piece is nicely balanced with the curving lines, the stairs and the outer motif all with round elements.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the way you have brought the inside in... or is it the inside out? I am pleased you included the escalator as it gives me the sense of emerging into that great space encircled as it is by thousands of books. Great!

    ReplyDelete