Pages

Tuesday 31 August 2021

Shaker Tables

Hilary's reminder was a wake-up call for me. Not only had I completely forgotten the challenge, but I was due to go away from Thursday for over a week, effectively giving me just a few days to complete my piece. I'm guilty of doing the first thing that occurred to me, but that is often the case, even if I leave myself longer to plan. In this case it was the quintessental Shaker table design, simple and elegant that sparked my interest. I was struck by how the table looked hexagonal when seen from a certain angle, and I had already decided I wanted to incorporate more colours into my next piece, so a simple layout, incorporating the tables into the standard 'tumbling blocks' layout was the way to go forward, but playing with colours in a manner slightly reminiscent of Andy Wahol. A certain element of one of my favorte artists, Escher, seems to have crept in too. Sadly, I don't have time to quilt it before I go away, so that will be another job waiting for me when I get back home. Who ever thought that retirement (especially post-lockdown) would be so busy!! I'm rather pleased with this piece, despite the hurry to do it. I find I'm enjoying the colours and generally cheerful aspect of the piece.

10 comments:

  1. What a lovely story Linda, thanks. Joyful colours and joyful piece, makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the alternating tables up and tables down. Makes for a complex and interesting pattern. Very clever. Nice one. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the play with the shapes and fabrics. It is going to be interesting to see what the quilting does to it. Clever piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Escher for sure! The pink table in particular really moves back and forwards for me. Great idea to transform the tumbling blocks pattern into tables. Really like the result!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A really thought provoking piece and so well put together. I agree with Amanda - definitely Escher in this. Love the colours and fabrics you have used and look forward to see what you are going to do with the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would never have thought of something like this in a million years - great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great play with tumbling blocks and Escher Linda. It's intriguing the way the 2nd and 4th rows pop in and out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your choice of fabrics and how you have combined them make this such an interesting piece . You must be well pleased with it

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bold use of prints and colors, each table is well defined but blends with each other. A very beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cheerful and interesting piece, Linda. Beautifully executed as well. Really appealing, and as all say, waiting to see how you quilt it! Well done.

    ReplyDelete