Pages

Thursday 26 August 2021

Simplified Shaker Staircase





   I found this one difficult at first and was at a loss as to what to do. Then I found a couple of photographs that I thought might inspire me. The first was of the interior of the round stone barn in Hancock  Shaker village, which when I made a sketch looked a bit like the underside of a mushroom cap. I decided it was a bit too complicated. The second was of a 1839 spiral staircase in the old Trustees office at the Shaker village of Pleasant Hill, Kentucky, that I found here: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:The_Inviting_Spiral_Of_The_Heavenly_Staircase_(203178905).jpeg 
   The quilt was simply quilted along the swirly lines, then coloured with iridescent markal paintstik. The iridescence doesn't show up very well in the photo unfortunately.






  
   I will be away for the next two weeks with no internet access.  look forward to seeing everyone's quilts when I come back, and will comment on them then.
 

15 comments:

  1. makes a very pleasing image. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely piece Jinnie, great colours too. I also had my eyes on that staircase, I wonder if anyone else has been inspired by that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello all,
    Confession time - I will not be able to finish my own challenge on tomorrow's reveal day, so sorry.
    Nothing major, but a lot of little mishaps like printer problems, starting to late, materials I have mislaid, etc. u
    I'm looking forward to seeing your work and to find out what Phil has in store for us.
    ( ps. This is a copy of a previous comment, just in case, now that we don't get an e-mail anymore).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been getting emails, so I presume you all have too? I think that maybe they stopped emails for following a blog, but that the blog 'owners' still get notifications by email of any comments.

      Delete
  4. I also chose a staircase .Amazing how different our interpretations are !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’ve seen that photography of a staircase before, but never realised it was from a Shaker village. Lovely interpretation. As I’m still away I look forward to seeing the image on a larger screen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Missed that pic but you have reflected it perfectly in your piece enhancing the simplicity in their life style. Clever piece.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this staircase and started off drawing it from the ground floor up - just the lines like you have done but I got side tracked. Pleased to see you stuck with it and produced this simple flowing piece. Any significance to the colours you have chosen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No signification whatsoever! They are colours that I've used before and which I like, and happen to have in my box of oilstiks.

      Delete
  8. I like the way you have simplified the piece and kept to the interesting shape.
    A really pleasing piece.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Me again. I knew this reminded me of something and I looked back at the library and see from Patricia's work that it is like the inside of the Helsinki University Library. Such different places, such commonality!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This has strong design lines, Jinnie. I love the simplicity of your abstraction. The thought that the staircase was all done manually following their belief in the value of labour and functionality - beautiful. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too looked at this image and was tempted, but I couldn't simplify it as successfully as you have.
    Like Amanda I'd be interested to learn more about your colour choice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the colors that you chose, very deep and attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Unusual 'take' on the Shaker staircase. What a difficult subject you chose! The staircase workmanship is exquisite though. Your colours are interesting.

    ReplyDelete