Pages

Tuesday 31 August 2021

ANATOMY OF A SHAKER ROUND BARN

 

 I must say this one really forced me to put on my thinking cap as visions of chairs on walls seemed to just lodge itself in my brain.

A day spent mulling over as much info as I could was worth it in the long run as I finally managed to find something that spoke to me.



This is a two layered piece.   The cream background is a whole cloth, stitched, with the shading done with pencil crayons/pencils. I sketched the plans out on paper, 505'd it to the sandwich and stitched.   It meant a lot of fiddly removal of the paper but was worth it as it kept the sandwich relatively square and flat.

The colour piece of the round barn is a separate piece, appliquéd and stitched.  The 2 are bound together with the left hand binding.


This is the piece with the top layer folded back.  I am not sure how I am going to 'latch' the top layer so that it does not flap open.   Will work that one out later.

In the end I did enjoy putting this one together as I have tried a number of firsts for me.

13 comments:

  1. How do you follow that? That is so innovative. Beautiful detail and explanation of how a round barn functioned. Tiny dots/squares of Velcro top and bottom to hold the top layer in place? Congrats on it all working out. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. Of course, this is Phil's piece which I reposted for her with her correct photos. H

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very clever Phil and you have certainly given us an insight into the structure and the workings of the barn on the left of your piece. Very well thought out and informative. It must have taken you lots of patience and time to remove all the paper once you had stitched it! Your barn is lovely and beautifully done and the juxtaposition of the drawing against the colours of the barn gives it so much interest. A beautiful piece of work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful Phil - a great representation of an iconic building.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The barn part is quite beautifully done. And such an interesting juxtaposition with the drawing part. Also exceedingly well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are one of our group who always looks outside the box and your stitch work is always excellent.I will be interested in how you "latch" the top piece . Do let us know

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so cool! What a great idea. So much information in one piece. I love the barn in particular.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the detail in this, especially as I enjoy technical drawings. I'm fairly sure we have visited a Shaker round barn at some point, and this is a lovely representation. I presume you have painted the picture of the barn as it is so detailed. Is there any way you can incorporate a 'door latch' to somehow keep the pice closed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The walls of the barn were painted. The rest is applique but I have gone in with pencil and watercolor crayons for the shading etc.

      Delete
  9. Excellent creativity.I also want to know how you plan to "latch" the top.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very clever Phil! Really like the idea of an exterior and an interior view of the Barn - well done! If you don't want the closure to be visible, Valcro would be the answer, I think. The binding is perfect too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Phil, this is beautiful. I like the juxtaposition of the outside view of the barn and the plan. The binding sets it all off nicely. Have you decided how to latch it yet?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so glad that I didn't choose the round barn as my inspiration (nearly did). How could I top yours? Very creative and beautifully executed Phil.
    Don't forget to let us know about the latch. ;0)

    ReplyDelete