Pages

Tuesday 31 August 2021

Shaken Up

 

I actually had an idea quite early on and kept it in mind while I worked on another project.  Then when I was ready to start and did some researching, I suddenly realised my plan to showcase a red barn with ‘hexes’ was oh so wrong.  The Shaker do not approve of hexes!  I could have included a painted quilt on the gable end of a barn as that seems to be acceptable.  Like Jinnie I looked at the interior of those amazing round stable buildings and was tempted…

In the end I have cobbled a couple of bits of inspiration together with some artistic license.  Red barns and the white windows and shutters of the houses.  I’ve kept it simple in common with their philosophy.  Setting it at an angle solved a few problems with proportions…




Fused raw edge applique.  Machine quilted.  Satin stitch edging.  Acrylic felt batting.  24" x 18"

Thanks Mai-Britt, it was a good challenge and I have enjoyed it.

Hilary

12 comments:

  1. I have just realised that I have committed a cardinal sin - mixing Amish and Shaker. Go to the bottom of the class! Sorry, folks. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Either way a clever play on the window/door shapes. The red and white is very striking and would not have been as effective paler. Love your quilting in the red panels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hilary, I think setting it at an angle has proven really effective and, like Phil, I really love your quilting on the red panels. All your stitching looks perfect. You're not related to somebody else in the group by any chance? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda - Phillida and I are sisters, as are Rosemary and Patricia. Well spotted. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very clever Hilary in the way you have angled your piece. Your colours are so striking and really give the whole piece a nice twist, something to bear in mind in the future. One learns so much from each other and makes it such fun. Well done on making this very interesting and as always your stitching is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't think of anything else to add Hilary.

    You are totally forgiven for mixing styles when it results in a piece like this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant to put it on an angle as you have. It really makes one look at the piece. The "glass" is terrific - I thought I was looking at a photograph at first. And yes, the quilting on the wood is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The angled approach is very innovative. Shaker and Amish do blend somehow because both groups preferred simplicity in lifestyle and in their architectural designs.Your stitching is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also admire your "glass" very much! It's really too good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Liked the piece put at an angle, Hilary - made it more unusual. Minimalistic design and using only 2 colours. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Hilary, glad you enjoyed it. I really love the angle - and I was surprised by the many red barns, to me they were mostly white with blue or green shutters.
    Another surprise was the fact that I hadn't finished the comments, lost the plot I think. ��

    ReplyDelete