Pages

Monday 30 November 2020

And another one for Birmingham!!!

 Hi everyone

Sorry for the late arrival. I have been frantically stitching all afternoon to get the last bits finished. It took w-a-y longer than I had anticipated.

Like Linda, Linda and Phil  I chose the library in Birmingham (does that make a 'bingo'?), not because it is my favourite, but because I couldn't resist the shapes on the exterior - they just shout 'QUILT' don't they?

I have been wanting to try this idea out for ages, so I decided to go for it. It has been reasonably successful - although I don't think my contribution warrants being called a  finished piece, but I have loved trying out the idea and I think it could be turned into a cool quilt in the future. I hope you like it!

 

It is made from folded and stitched dyed cotton organdie (the red/orange parts), and the pages of an old book that I laminated to polyester organza (the black and white parts). Here is a side view so you can perhaps get a better idea of what is going on.

 




The pieces are stitched together to form a pieces quilt top then the whole thing has been stitched onto  tulle, which is virtually invisible. My idea would be to make more of these panels and stitch them together, with the colours gradually changing and blending from yellow to green to blue. But it is a mighty fiddly job!


I have absolutely loved making it, but I need a rest from it for a while - but I do want to try and finish it - maybe next year!

Thanks for a brilliant challenge Dianne.

9 comments:

  1. I love the delicacy of what you have done, and the use of the printed page to back it. The hand stitching shows nicely (and must take quite a bit of time!) but it's very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of those pieces that I want to see in the flesh and touch! I love the 3D of it and would love to see a bigger piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fascinating method you have chosen . I liked the contrast of the fabrics and thought that the way you created the 'book' fabric is especially interesting . You wonderfully creative people think so differently from the likes of me who finds it extremely difficult to see anything 'outside the box' . Perhaps it is my scientific training!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are not alone Rosemary, there are several 'literalists' amongst us!

    I love that you've focussed on one aspect of the building and interpreted it in a way that still references libraries. A piece with a greater range of colour would have amazing impact but I'm not sure I'd be up the work that would entail!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to see this close-up. I'm fascinated by the process. The result is striking - love the circular inspiration/Sashiko 'wineglass'. It also has a Cathedral Window/stain glass window look about it. Multi-facetted. Love the colours and the use of printed paper. Way to go, Claire! Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ditto to all that has been said. Fascinating process and interesting finish. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the colours, luminosity and the airy quality of your piece. Birmingham is certainly popular!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the colour, the print and the stitching. I hope we get to see the bigger piece with colours merging from yellow to green to blue if you do tackle that idea one day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your take on the exterior design - very clever and I think we all would like to see it as it progresses. Really lovely take on the design. It is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete