Pages

Monday 30 November 2020

Birmingham Library

" I had a few moments of panic" when I saw the list of published posts and saw 'my' name against my chosen library but it seems that coincidence is at play as I have chosen the same subject as Linda F.  
I've only read Linda's introduction so it will be interesting to see how our interpretations compare. 


I loved the new Birmingham library the moment I entered. The space invites you to explore and on the day I visited there were plenty of people doing that but it was the way the space wrapped around you that I wanted to capture.

I decided to use a skeleton drawing of the galleries then filled the shapes with various fabrics and quilting patterns. The top layer, repeated further down, was made when working through exercises from "Intentional Printing" and drove the colour scheme. The bottom layer reflects the external cladding on the building was fun to do. The blue circles were printed before I stitched the larger orange ones.



9 comments:

  1. I think this must be a first....3 of us choosing the same item.
    Your combination and working of the fabrics are spoton and again the inside/outside influence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Birmingham Library certainly seems to be the most popular choice this time around and very interesting as Phil has said, 3 so far and I also had it on the back burner, but chose something completely different in the end. A really excellent interpretation and quite obviously a very interesting interior. Well done on a really lovely piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating that three of us choose the same library, but have produced such completely different interpretations. I love the way you have the feel of the library without actually picturing it. That printed fabric is lovely and makes the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see why this library was so popular - it really does lend itself to artistic interpretation. I can now appreciate the lines in yours Linda having looked it up online.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In my search for libraries I can't remember this one catching my attention . Now I can see why it has been such a popular choice with very different interpretations . I love the use of lines in your piece and the fabrics you have chosen which have made an excellent design.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also agree that you have used line and shape to really good effect. Love your prints and that vibrant orange swoosh gets my eye going back and forth - you have got the perspective bang on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I confess I was heading in the direction of the Birmingham Library when I was diverted to rock art. It just cries out to be chosen and I am loving the different interpretations that have been shown. Love your abstraction and the fabrics you chose. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your abstract design, and the way you have used the prints.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that the 3 Birmingham quilts are so different but with no doubt that what they were inspired by. I really like the way you printed the circles and then stitched them in a larger size.

    ReplyDelete