Pages

Monday 30 November 2020

Before books and libraries...

My inspiration came through an unrelated link and it clicked immediately.  What are libraries? - repositories of facts, stories, history, events.  When you didn't have a written language and you had no paper or books you used what was around you - surfaces in caves and you used pictures.  Rock art is found all over the world but my inspiration are the rock paintings in Twyfelfontein in Namibia.  Painted by the San (Bushmen) peoples they tell of hunts, give us an idea of the animals they knew and about their lives.  It is rich source of material.

Twyfelfontein and me





I have used my embroidery machine, acrylic paint, free machine quilting.  My hand was a bit of tongue in cheek last minute addition (the paint isn't dry yet) because I was struggling to work out how to add hands - the carved into rock ones, the type which are silhouettes made by blowing dye around your hand (would have been nice but should have been added earlier) or the stencilled kind.  I am still trying to work out how to 'knock back' the whole thing.  Not sure if a wash of thin paint or splatter or dabbing a sponge will do it, but it is all too fresh!

Thanks, Dianne, I have really enjoyed this.

Hilary

10 comments:

  1. A completely different take as always. Great images, and the background fabric really looks like rock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done on approaching it from a completely different angle. Love the combination of the paintings and the hand is a nice personal touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and Phil have really made this an interesting exercise as both of you have chosen something very different to an actual building, but at the same time have tied the two together. Good thinking and I do love not only the figures but the background fabric as well. It looks great and very well thought through and makes everything we do so interesting and different. Well done Hilary on a really lovely and imaginative piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great reminder that libraries are a repository of knowledge, regardless of how it is recorded.

    Love the addition of your hand, don't knock it back too much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rock art is a great teller of stories . We were lucky to see some of this art in Utah ,USA where hands were prominent features and may have been the hands of the artists . You have been very clever with the use of the rock like fabric in the background and should be disinclined to fade your hand signature away.As always a very different take on our library theme . Lovely

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice one Hilary! I love your personal touch. I agree that a bit of aging would make it even better. I like your idea of a really weak wash of grey, but maybe do some trials before - it is too nice to spoil if it doesn't work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't worry, Claire, I will test a lot of ideas before I commit. I am looking for a piece of real sponge which will have a random patterning, then make up a greyish/brownish thin paint mix to dab over some areas... Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree it needs knocking back a little: good luck with the paint. I love your take on the subject of libraries. Definitely more of a prehistoric version of a reference library as it would have been a bit heavy to carry home when you borrowed a 'book'! I don't know whether you have heard about the rock art recently found in the Amazon in Columbia: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/colombia-rock-art-amazon-rainforest-b1763761.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your background fabric is perfect for this. I like your selection of animals (and hand) to represent the stories. A very "out of the box" interpretation!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your take on libraries. I had to look a lot closer initially to see that your work was indeed fabric and not a photo you were working from. I am looking forward to seeing how it evolves.

    ReplyDelete