Pages

Saturday 31 August 2019

Pukeko


I loved the choice of this artist - it was such fun to play with his ideas.  I wish I had had a bit longer to work on the design, but I immediately thought of New Zealand when I saw lots of spirals in his work, which fitted in fine with the theme I was working on before I took some time out.  Of course, New Zealand is famous for it's birds - any mammals on the islands have been introduced at a relatively recent date. I selected two of our favourite birds from my photos of our trip there, a Pukeko and a Red Stilt, and added Mick and I into the picture.  I kept the birds reasonably realistic, though with a few extra spirals.  Perhaps if I get time later I will add more detail to the background.

No stitching on it yet - that will have to wait until I have a studio again.  The picture is slightly brighter than shown here, I ran out of daylight for taking the photo.

10 comments:

  1. Well done Linda and I like the way you have incorporated a different country and have made it your own and also their birds life. A different take but it works well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made me smile Linda, I never thought of including myself into a quilt, well done. And you are right about NZ art and spirals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another marriage of countries very successfully & it has made me smile as well.Love the composition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back Linda! I have missed seeing your imaginative work. Love the birds, and so cute adding you and Mick to the mix.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pukeko's are wonderful birds to draw and design work with . I love watching them but have not yet tried to draw them . Please publish your piece with the stitching on it which will enhance an already interesting piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much fun Linda, and very clever to change location yet keep to the same style. We used to have a whole tribe of Pukeko that came and set up camp on our lawn each evening - they are adorable but so dumb! I also love that you have put yourself and Mick into the scene. A really great composition.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice to see you back Linda - literally with your self-portrait! I like your design and your use of the birds from your travels. I'm thinking that the trees over your heads represent a garden in process?? And yes, do post the finished piece.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done Linda. Enjoyed the simplicity of the piece. Please show us your 'finished' artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to see you back Linda. I particularly like the birds, especially the red stilts: they have so much character. The self portraits are a good idea too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hehe - I spy the two of you. Great fun putting yourselves in the piece and those special memories of your New Zealand trip. Thanks for pulling out the stops to be able to join in again - we missed you. H

    ReplyDelete