Pages

Saturday 31 August 2019

Do Amigos - 2 Superheroes

This artist has been so much fun, as many of us predicted. Thank you Rosemary for bringing Fernando Andriacci to us.

I made this quilt almost as soon as Rosemary set the challenge - such was my enthusiasm! It was a case of just getting out some inks and fabric paints and spending an afternoon just letting my paintbrush wander - and this was the result.


The two funny characters I painted are very obviously inspired by Andriacci's own characters, although much simpler. I love the way he nests little 'personages' inside each of his characters - the more you look the more you find. It made me wonder whether Andriacci perhaps took some of his own inspiration from Paul Klee - I am thinking of his piece, 'The Cat and the Bird'.

Paul Klee: 'The Cat and the Bird'  (Public domain)

I decided to try and make my two characters as vibrant as I could - and as they took shape I imagined them as two friends who dress up as superheroes - with little jet-packs on their backs, ready to zoom off and save some poor soul who needs cheering up. It sounds silly but as I painted them I created imaginary personalities for the pair, who I named Pancho and Paloma and completely lost myself in the moment. It was bliss!


Superheroes:Inspired by the art of Fernando Andriacci

I loved making this so much I might even make a few more! Thanks Rosemary!

I forgot to add the piece I used for my inspiration ..............

Original artwork by Fernando Andriacci

12 comments:

  1. fabulous, lovely to hear how much fun you had making it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Claire - brilliant. You have certainly captured the essence of our artist and definitely made it your own - well done on all counts as you obviously had fun which is what it is all about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these characters, and want to go out dancing with them! Colourful and full of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such fun. My nearly 5 year old grandson is superhero made. I wonder what he would think. I can see some more characters developing. I see you still have quite a stash of Dala Paint Pots. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil - I'd love to know what he thinks (even if he thinks they are rubbish and not at all superhero-ish!). As for the paints - I didn't realise I had quite so many - but they have lasted so well - they must be at least 5 years old, if not more and are(mostly) still in great condition. I really wish I could buy them here in the UK, they are wonderful aren't they.

      Delete
  5. You have outdone yourself with this one Claire. You have used his imagery and gone beyond to create your own characters. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Double wow from me, your story sings out. Agree with Linda and others, lets go dancing with these lovely characters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a happy piece Claire - love the use of the masks and the intricate designs for their clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As all say, brilliantly done Claire. I can see you really enjoyed yourself and made an amazing piece of art which will definitely ask for more fun characters to be created!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The paints you used certainly enhance the brightness of the colours which you have chosen. The idea of them being super heroes is great fun and, yes, please let us know what your grandson thinks !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Claire! Another outstanding piece. You have totally 'got' Andriacci's sense of fun. Super, super. H

    ReplyDelete