Pages

Saturday 31 August 2019

Haida Gwaii

This summer we had  a fascinating trip aboard a very small ship (12 passengers) that took us around the national park of Gwaii Hanaas in Haida Gwaii.  We hiked through rain forests and visited abandoned villages where we were given talks by local Haidas about life there.  We saw bald eagles, ravens, one bear and lots of other birds and some deer.  We paddled in kayaks around tidal pools, and learned a lot about the west coast environment from the marine biologist on board. 

West coast art, particularly Haida art is very distinctive.  I wanted to be influenced by it, but not copy it - in these days of cultural appropriation sensitivity I tried to avoid copying.  So this is an example of this style of art.  It is a small piece that I bought from a young local artist and you can see the complexity of the design.  It is in part a whale  and a raven.  Not sure about the RHS. 


The piece by Fernando Andriacci that I used as my influence:






And my piece:





12 comments:

  1. I like the way you've used the colours from the Andriacci piece but followed some of the shapes from the Haida art, and incorporated some of the tribal animals. I too love the Haida art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Linda. You have married your two influences very cleverly. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Dianne. You have really captured the essence of both the artist and Haida art, but in your own unique way. And created a souvenir of your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a happy mix of two very different types of art. I'm affraid I was unfamiliar with both - what a great to way to learn more via this wonderful group, thanks Dianne!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a super quilt to remind you of what sounds like a wonderful trip . Forgive my ignorance but where is Haida Gwaii ? I have never before heard of it but I do like the piece of artwork and your Andriacci=esque interpretation .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haida Gwaii consists of 2 main islands and lots of little ones and is located on the coast of British Columbia just north of Vancouver Island and just south of Alaska.

      Delete
  6. You are so clever to bring these two styles together - your inspiration piece is perfect. I am intrigued, did you 'see' the animals that you created in it, and work from there? I like your piece very much indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did see these birds and bear - which is why I felt I could use them.

      Delete
  7. I agree with all the other comments - you have brought together two completely different art forms and made it your own piece. I do like your colours and your design.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing Dianne and as the others say, what a reminder of your trip and of the art of the Islands. (Lawrence and I also had to ask Google where Haida Gwaii was in the world). It must have been a wonderful experience and you have 'blended' the two together so well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your trip sounds wonderful. I too had never heard of Haidä Gwaïi and have just looked on internet at some images of the landscape (it looks stunning) and art. Thank you for the introduction to Something that is new to me. I agree with everyone's comments about the way in which you have succeeded in bringing together the two art forms and made Something of your own.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very special and a real tribute to both the Haida tradition and Andriacci. Love the way you have included three animals/birds. H

    ReplyDelete