Pages

Wednesday 31 May 2017

Tribute to ...

I definitely struggled with this one in that I had visions but had no idea how to get there. Am I happy with my piece .... not completely.  I may play around with it some more at a later stage after some more thought.

Looking at his work I saw marbling, the swirls inside marbles, road maps. All shapes I love however I did not want it to look like I had created another piece in his repertoire so my thoughts changed to putting together little bits of his culture & background to using some of his techniques.

I started with the technique and played around with paint on a off white whole cloth ....


I then inserted a sketch of Janvier, quilted feathers around the circle and stitched into his face. Fabric was wrapped and stitched around cord and used to frame Janvier and create my dream catcher.  I then added the beads & shells to complete my dream catcher.


Here came my problem .... ideally I should have 'threads' criss-crossing the middle of the dream catcher but on placing them across it destroyed the face of Janvier.  Ho Hum !

These are the 2 pieces of Janviers that I took my inspiration from.

 



12 comments:

  1. Clever, and lovely! Once again there are so many different interpretations of Janvier's work. I love the idea of a dream catcher around the outlines of his face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a clever nterpretation, your threadless dreamcatcher acts as a wonderful frame for the man himself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very clever idea, a great way to catch the spiritual side of the man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I love it. I think he would too. What a tribute to the artist and clever, lovely piece of art.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your original interpretation of the artist's work, bringing together the work and the artist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Phil as usual you have put such a different spin on the chosen artist and come up with an inspired piece of work. A very clever tribute to his work and heritage. I too thought of a dream catcher but didn't know how to incorporate it into my piece. I'm so glad that I didn't as you have used it so well. A really clever and thoughtful piece, beautifully executed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ditto to all the remarks. This is so exciting to see the many interpretations. Doing the web in monofilament thread would be an option.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are so many Indigenous symbols that are universal to the culture and the dream catcher is one of them! What a way to honor him in such an iconic way! Your design and attention to detail really make your piece truly authentic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your interpretation Phil. I think it's a nice tribute to him.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Most interesting how you have put a portrait of Janvier as the central focal point of this quilt .Combining this with colourful lines in the surround which emphasise the centre is very cleverly thought out and successful.Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh boy - you pulled out an inspired interpretation with this piece. Absolutely love the 'dribbled' paint lines, the dream catcher idea, feathers and dangly bits. They all come together. Definitely a tribute.

    ReplyDelete