Pages

Wednesday 31 May 2017

Kiwi Dreaming

I tried a slightly different approach with this artist.  Instead of picking a particular picture as an inspiration I looked at several of his pieces, then went away and thought about what impression they had made on me.  I then tried to design my piece without going back to look at his work again!
I'm sorry it is not a very good photograph, but I was extremely pressed for time.  I want to add more detail and complexity to the image at some point, though I'm not quite sure how to do that yet.  My intention had been to have the kiwi image barely discernable in the middle of a jumble of lines and colours, but the fabrics I choose for the various areas have made him stand out rather too well.  Perhaps that is the way forward, to add some stronger colours in other areas of the piece.  What do you all think?

12 comments:

  1. Interestingly, I set this piece to post automatically, but when I went into check this morning the status had changed to 'draft' rather than 'scheduled'. I've noticed this before - a quirk of the system??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually like what you have done as it captures the simplicity of some of his designs and yet it is quite striking. I also like the strength of the Kiwi. Did the two green pieces of fabric just happen beneath his feet or planned?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Planned to be coloured pieces to disguise his feet, but the green just happened, and looked so right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this piece, you have captured the artist so well. Like your approach as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the background and the kiwi but wonder if the piece might have been more successful if the kiwi weren't right in the middle, perhaps offset one way or the other....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the way you have constructed the background and have brought in the Kiwi as in many of his pieces one can pick out small animals and birds. You have put an interesting slant on his work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the use of the kiwi...Alex may have hidden that bird symbol someplace in one of his works!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's all been said apart from how clever you were to use the little fella's beak to define one of your curves!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the way you've pieced it and the lines that you've used. I agree with not centering the kiwi.

    After you schedule your piece, you still have to hit "post".

    ReplyDelete
  10. Coming from "Kiwiland" I immediately related to the image of this delightful bird . However being much darker than the background fabric detracts from your marvellous piecing . So I am inclined to agree with you that you should introduce darker fabric such as the brown and green into that background which could easily be done with paint . The other alternative is to put a thin(perhaps 1/4 inch strip on the inner side your binding ( I have sometimes fused strips on ). However that would mean taking off the binding first . Just suggestions . What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just love this little Kiwi. It is a perfect fusion of New Zealand and North West Pacific art. He and the curves are an inspired match. Love the title.

    ReplyDelete