Pages

Tuesday 30 May 2017

Alberta Rose

As much as I liked the work of Alex Janvier, it was hard to decide what to do.  I chose one of his different pieces - he had a couple on display referencing the Alberta wild rose (the official flower of the province).  And I liked the lines on another. 

This is a snow dyed piece of fabric that I felt begged for whole cloth quilting.  I've quilted it with roses with yellow stamens.  The Alberta rose is a single petal rose and is quite open.  And then I didn't want to put coloured lines on it so just did quilted ones. 

We have had a lot of discussion in Canada lately about cultural appropriation.  It will be interesting to see where it all goes. 





Below are my two influences.




11 comments:

  1. I loved the dyed fabric you used as background. The soft rose pink and yellow was the right fabric for the rose design which you cleverly achieved with line work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabric made for the occasion ... stunning. Early on Patricia commented on his use of the pink in his work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the third time I've tried to comment - the system does not seem to like me this morning.

    I love your interpretation of his piece, and the use of the snow dyed fabric. This feels very different to the other pieces, but is so very you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabric made for the occasion ... stunning. Early on Patricia commented on his use of the pink in his work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an inspiration, thank you for introducing me to an artist I've never heard of. Love your work process and the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful fabric and love the way you have combined inspiration from the two very different artworks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your dyed fabric set the tone for a beautifully quilted piece. You captured the rose perfectly and it was an inspired choice of design.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like how you have interpreted it in a different way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was tempted to use the vertical lines. Very creative interpretation and a piece you must be pleased with.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a lovely piece...from the dyed fabric to the quilting to the symbolism! I would love to know if his work is ever exhibited in the United States as I would love to see his work "in person". In addition to his art, I was very moved by his life story!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yes. Very clever the way you have taken the two elements and brought them together. The fabric was crying out to be used this way. LOvely piece.

    ReplyDelete