Pages

Wednesday 31 May 2017



I have always been under the impression one should never compose a design that falls off the page, or in this case the fabric!  I have been proved wrong in this instance.  I must confess that I found this artist very difficult at first and found it hard to be inspired as to how to put my inspiration across.  However, as I studied his work I kept going back to pieces that did meander off the sides of his designs.  I drew it up before I left to visit my daughter in the UK but didn't have time to do any adjustments on my return due to various unforseen health issues.  In the end it was fun to put my drawing onto fabric and absolutely love the colours he uses so beautifully.  Below are the pieces that inspired me and my final piece.  I am happy with my finished piece.  I did use paint and appliqued fabric and outlined everything in 12wt cotton thread and, although his backgrounds are very flat (as is his colour), I decided to quilt the background minimally.  I was not sure if it should have been faced or bound but instinctively went for the binding in a slightly mottled, darker colour than the background as I desperately needed to enclose the design.









My final piece:


9 comments:

  1. I like how his designs travel off the page, his use of curves and colours. You really did portray his style well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too had to come to grips with the figures flowing over the frame, but I get it now and you have really interpreted it in a great way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful piece that stands on its own and as an artwork inspired by Janvier. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did an outstanding job of interpreting his style! Love the color and movement of your piece!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really enjoying seeing how people are managing to develop Janvier's swirls. The combination of applique and outlining works really well.
    Hope your health issues are resolved Patricia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your interpretation and your use of layers of colour.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ditto Linda ... love how all the swirls have been interpreted. Using a binding of colour has contained the lines & keeps your eye on the piece. Well done Patricia & I like you have brought in the pink which is definitely a colour not often used by you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this whole design and the use of Janviers favourite colours especially the pink and brown . Your colour combinations are always wonderful and setting it onto grey was the genius touch ! The frame in a slightly darker grey completed it so well . Fantastic! (wish I had also inherited those colour choosing skills!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. First impressions looking at Janvier's painting made me think they were simple. In fact they aren't and your piece is a masterful interpretation of his style - lovely flowing lines and colours - and quilting to enhance the lines.

    ReplyDelete