Pages

Monday 28 February 2011

The Western Wall


The Western Wall Jerusalem:

The Western Wall, the most holy structure accessible to Jewish people, is the remaining wall of the second temple built in 19 BCE by Herod the Great. The wall is not only a great tourist attraction but is also visited day and night by throngs of people of both sexes, of all ages, and from all countries, to pray and to kiss the sacred stones.  
The photo that I used as inspiration for this piece was taken when I was at the wall two months ago.  I painted a white piece of silk with silk paint which I then sprinkled with coarse salt when it was still very wet.   I burned a few holes into some tulle which I then doubled and placed on top of the silk.  When dry, I attached the two layers of tulle and the silk to a very fine cotton, then batting then a back.   I enlarged my photo onto regular paper which I then gently glued to the back.  From the back, I outlined the stones in stitch.  I further machine stitched into the piece from the front side. I added some finishing touches with shiva sticks and pastels.
Was sad that my piece had to be 12 " square as I got very carried away with all the techniques and the almost meditative, repetitive nature of this piece - the subject of which has a very deep place in my heart.
Looking forward to seeing the others!

 


 Pamela

9 comments:

  1. Those are beautiful, very lifelike stones, Pamela. Very clever idea to use the actual photo to get the outlines quilted. Your layers of paint, shiva sticks and tulle have created a striking rendition of the Western Wall.

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, subtle coloration, Pam. I'm sure that in person it is just deliciously textural.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you have constructed this piece and the clever way of quilting it. One can get caught up in the emotion of the piece when working on them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have done a great job capturing the picture in fabric. And the colouring is just right and breathes life into it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never cease to be amazed at how you can make the simplest subject come to life Pam. Great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As always, Pam, a deeply personal and powerful piece. So well done....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I looked at the image of your quilt and thought calm, meditative (Is that a word?)before reading your description, so this piece really spoke to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really liked the way you constructed this piece and the different mediums you used, as well as the way you worked it to get the total effect that you got overall. A lovely calm and thoughtful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! So realistic! Great ideas for getting a that rough texture look on a smooth surface. I will definitely try your terrific idea of using your picture on the back of the piece for the quilting lines!

    ReplyDelete