Pages

Monday 28 February 2011

Structure African Style


I was inspired by the designs of the woven raffia Kuba cloths and Shoowa Cut Pile Embroidery of Central Congo in Africa. These cloths have a very distinctive design structure which are varied to a degree but retain an overall symmetry. What also appealed to me was the way in which the design changed in different parts of the cloth, but still retained its design integrity. Although the only colours they use are black and natural raffia I felt inspired to use these definite African colours. I designed my own piece based on this style which was then appliqued and quilted.

A couple of weeks ago we held a wonderful morning workshop working with clay with our Centurion Art Quilt Group. We moulded, painted, gilded and baked our clay and generally had fun, so I decided to incorporate what we had learned and made (moulded) the triangles, painted and gilded them and then added the African beadwork (which I did myself) to enhance the design.

10 comments:

  1. Oh Patricia, you have made me homesick again - what a beautiful piece. It captures the essence of Kuba cloth perfectly. I love the additions of the clay triangles and beads - gorgeous!

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is really great. You never cease to amaze me Mum! A true creative spirit taken flight with your quilting. Well done, even amidst broken sewing machines needing to be fixed part of the way through. Always love seeing all the different creations. Looking forward to seeing othere interpretations of the theme.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the edging on the piece, Patricia. And I do hope that the amazing clay work and beading will find its way into more of your work. Very special.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really speaks African Kuba cloth! Your quilting and then the design on the clay reinforce that. And it looks lovely with the beads. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great piece Patricia. Yah for eureka moments although I am intriqued in your original design.
    The clay/bead pieces add that bit of wow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks really good, Patricia. It makes me want to go and find out more about Kuba cloth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful piece Patricia. The beads and edging take it to another level.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i, too, feel homesick when looking at this patricia. i love the bead work and the design. beautifully combined. well done

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too enjoy the 'not quite' symmetry of Kuba cloth - I think your interpretation is great. The clay and bead embellishments really lift this pice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a brilliant use of traditional cloth with design echoed with your clay creations! They enhance and compliment the design and the quilting. Wonderfully unique!

    ReplyDelete