Pages

Monday 28 February 2011

Habitat 67

It took me a long while to decide what structure I would use for this challenge. Eventually I decided it had to be something Canadian as we now know we will be leaving Montreal later this year. I started thinking about the geodesic dome that was part of the World Fair here in 1967, and went hunting through my many photographs of it. Then I happened upon a photo of Habitat 67, built at the same time, and knew I had found my subject. I visited Montreal as a school girl in 1973 and the only two things I can remember clearly from that visit are the dome and Habitat 67; when I arrived to join my husband in 2008 they were also the first two things I noticed in the wonderful view we have from our apartment!

I challenged myself to use some of the snow dyed fabrics that I have been accumulating this winter, and am very pleased with the result. I went for minimal quilting on the building as I was worried that the stitches would detract from the simple lines of the building, and the sky couldn't be blue as that is such a hard colour to get from snow dyeing, so I used blue thread to quilt it quite densely instead. Incidentally, the building was designed to be low cost housing; it is now one of the most sort-after places to live in Montreal.

9 comments:

  1. Tumbling blocks indeed! It is amazing how you have so meticulously cut the different shades of cloth and fit them together like a jigsaw, Linda. The stitching is perfectly designed to maximize the effect of structure against the sky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great piece, Linda F - one of the outstanding pieces of architecture I have in my mind from the trip to Canada a few years back. I wonder what it is like to live in one of the appartments? I think you captured the surreal look of the place.

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have captured perfectly the essence of the modules floating in air. It's a unique and wonderful place to live. And one of my favourite pieces of architecture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Incredible piece of work Linda! It really conveys the feel of the Habitat structure and the quilting makes the buildings pop. I feel fortunate to have seen this quilt in person!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i too feel fortunate to have seen this piece in the 'flesh.' technically excellent, artistically beautiful - a favourite fiber artist and a favourite architect (moshe safdie who just had a 3 month exhibition at the national gallery in ottawa) combined! well done linda!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda this is absolutely amazing - I could not get over your perspective and the way you gave it such depth - loved it and it really epitomises the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know this structure so have learned something new! Your minimalist stitching really emphasizes the structure and the perspective is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great structure! Cleverly put together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the intellect and perspective of our group! I am learning so much about technique to regional interests. I never knew about this structure until now...it will be one of the places I go see if I am ever in Montreal. Well done, Linda!

    ReplyDelete