Pages

Monday 28 February 2011

Humans leave their mark everywhere

I have started to fulfil an idea about how we as humans leave traces wherever we go.  In this piece I have taken the simple fingerprint, unique in each person, and turned it into an imaginary topographical map - human structure laid over land structure - humans leaving their mark on the landscape.

The fingerprint lines are simple satin stitch as are the buildings, the forests appliqued, the road is twin needle work (I was most tickled with this) and the river free motion.  The roads and river were painted with Tsuneko pens.


Hilary

PS  When I took the photo I had forgotten the bridges to cross the river - they are now there.  H

9 comments:

  1. There is a crispness and clarity in all your work, Hilary. This could develop into a very interesting theme. The edging complements the piece nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Heather .... a very definite crispness about this piece. Very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ingenious! I love the blend of the fingerprint and the map. And a lovely use of colour and line.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very clever idea, and so well executed. And the colours are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how all our minds work so differently given the same theme. I too applaud your combining the fingerprint and the topographical map. Ingenious and beautifully executed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. brilliant concept, so beautifully interpreted in stitch. i love your use of colors contrasting with white. well done hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Clever idea and so well executed, it was hard to believe that I wasn't looking at a real map. The geographer in me is pleased to see that the contour heights work!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hilary I thought your piece was very ingenious as all of us have unique fingerprints but are all structured in the same way - very clever to combine this with the map, bridges etc. I too can't believe how different everybody's piece was and the thought processes that go into them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an interesting juxtaposition of leaving our "print" on this world...the very structures that give us identity. The colors definitely look like a topographical map and then upon closer examination...the whorls of a fingerprint. An "Aha" moment! Brilliant!!

    ReplyDelete