Pages

Thursday 3 February 2011

Journal Quilt

The format for the 2011Contemporary Quilt Journal Quilts is a 10" square.  The first 4 months have to contain something linked to a circle/s.  It is not prescribed exactly how so as to encourage thinking out of the box and to make the sky the limit.  My piece is a homage to Ben Nicholson and is a recycled Damask table napkin with white on white quilting trying to recreate the 3D effect of his painting.  I plan to base all four months on his paintings.  Interesting the way the photo has come out - it looks as if the quilting is raised when it is actually flattened - a trick of lighting.

        
Ben Nicholson painting
Journal Quilt
Hilary

5 comments:

  1. Really great Hilary. Are you going to do all your first 4 as wholecloths? I don't know Ben Nicholson's paintings, so Im not sure if he ever used colour. My current plan is to do an overall plan, so that the 12 journals produce a unified pattern, but then to treat each month as a stand alone, within the overall design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love it hil. simple and yet not. looking forward to seeing the rest as well as lindas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous Hilary! Incredible impact - I absolutely love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elegant in it's simplicity. Is that going to be a theme - using the white napkins? And interesting how it does look raised. Sometimes when one sees a quilt in a magazine and the quilted area looks sucked down (just can't think of a better word to describe it) then turning the magazine around will often pop up the quilting. I tried turning my computer upside down, but it didn't quite work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. His paintings are as varied as you could wish and I hope to take four different styles to cover some of the variety. Yes, there will be colour. I'm using this as an exploration to extend my skills - paint will be in there somewhere... but no more napkins. If I loosely base the designs on his work, I can concentrate on the colours/textures/effects and then perhaps understand the composition and appeal. That's probably the wrong way to go about it but I'll give it a try.

    I know exactly what you mean, Dianne - and I have tried squinting and turning it and somehow it still looks 'sucked in' - great description!

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete