Pages

Monday 28 February 2011

Moses Mabhida Stadium - Structure


This is the south end of the majestic Moses Mabhida Stadium in Durban built for the Soccer World Cup. The middle strip in the background is where the sky car runs up to the top and from the third or fourth rung up from this side you can do a jump/swing across the stadium.

Painted background, fused stadium enhanced with pencil, Shiva stick, paint and stitching.

I have put an image of the bronze statue of the man himself on the back,  Moses Mabhida.



This has turned out to be the challenge that gave me the most stress even though I immediately new what I wanted to do and how it was going to be done. As mentioned the other day I have procrastinated daily over it.  Now it is finished I am quite pleased.   I will change the quilting of the sky, I think, and do irregular straight lines as I think it will echo the steps at the bottom.  (I have changed the quilting and replaced the picture......better)

8 comments:

  1. A powerful structure - and, not sure what the struggle was, but the end result is impressive. You have captured the stadium beautifully. Brave thought to redo the sky quilting but you may be right...

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. The formal symmetry makes the building even more impressive. I'm glad there is at least one "architectural" piece in the group!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's very striking with it's symmetry and 2 colours. I like the sky the way it is, it separates the view through the stadium from outside. Maybe on your next piece.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. The symmetry makes this view of the building fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful colours; what an interesting vantage point on this structure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love the brightness of your colors and your idea to include the photo on the back. a well done piece

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fascinating building, amazing interpretation. Your use of pencil and paint really bring the building to life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing this incredible structure! It must be massive! Your attention to detail with the shadowing, quilting and color makes every detail "pop". Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete