Pages

Wednesday 30 June 2010

Seeing Red - the red barns of Canada


I had many ideas when I saw the topic, but a lot of them seemed negative - losing my temper, being impatient etc. - and I wanted a positive theme. Mick and I were travelling to the Niagara peninsular, brain storming the idea, when we saw all these red and white barns beside the roads. Initialing I was thinking about a literal interpretation, but then decided to use the spontaneous strip quilting method demonstrated by Rayna Gillman at her workshop. I've tried to suggest the barn by the white sections, and the slopes of the roofs by the darker sections. After finishing I overpainted with small amounts of green and black paint - most of the barns we saw were all slightly delapidated, and my quilt looked too pristine.!


4 comments:

  1. Perfect, Linda. Very artsy and clever - I immediately thought 'barns' when I saw the white window. The interpretation is clear as crystal.

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. red it is and barn it is. it's also linda! love the techniques and what you've done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another of your Canadian quilts for Canada Day! - and again you've captured the spirit of a barn without drawing a barn. well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A barn! Of all the things that I had on my list of red items/objects I did not have a barn(and I grew up in Montana and live in Texas)! Well done!

    ReplyDelete