Pages

Wednesday 30 June 2010

Simply Red - Coral Tree


Erythrina lysistemon (Erythrina comes from Greek meaning "Red") or the Coral Tree as it is better known. These deciduous trees are a blaze of colour from June thru to April depending on which type and their seeds are a very dark pod made up of a number of segments which bursts open with a very bright red seed in each. I have a dwarf version in my front garden which gives me continuous delight with added bonus of the birds it attracts.
100% cotton, painted with silk paints; branches and two minor flower heads in dye pastels; main flower head hand dyed cotton fused; quilting - machine stippled and hand seeded; edge satin stitch with ribbon inner.
You may notice and african theme developing. I am hoping that I can incorporate this in all the challenges so I can in time hang them all as one ...... an added challenge!! Roll on the next one.

4 comments:

  1. The Lucky Bean Tree! And I was so sure you were going to do an aloe. Beautiful botanical piece, Phil. Good luck with keeping to the African theme - nice idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is lovely phil - great suject, wonderfully interpreted in stitch!
    VIVA

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely tree to have as a subject and I say this from your depiction. I will have to look it up when I get back home. (dial up is just too slow down here at the cottage!). From your description of your techniques, I wish I could see it close up. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am enjoying getting a view of Africa from your art and experience. The detail that you are able to get onto fabric is wonderful. Can't wait to see what "African" theme piece comes next!

    ReplyDelete